Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Quality soundcard for playback.  (Read 3733 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Quality soundcard for playback.
« on: December 03, 2006, 05:24:32 PM »
I am working on upgrading my PC playback capabilities as it currently sounds like crap.

I will be going with Blue Sky's Pro or Media desk monitors and was wondering if an upgrade in the soundcard would improve the sound as well. No ideal whats in there now, whatever Dell used.

No need for surround sound, or any kind of inputs. This will be strictly for quality playback.
Cheaper is good, but quality sound is most important.

Any suggestions?
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Quality soundcard for playback.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 08:30:23 PM »
I have a zoltrix nightingale 6, and I think it sounds good.  I'm not dissappointed in even the analog output, but it will feed digi to a dac if yah got one.   I'm running it analog right now, and I think its definately decent.  I bought it in the yard sale here for $25... they aren't that expensive.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 12:53:09 PM »
chaintech av-710 -- check out head-fi.org for details, can be had for around $25 from newegg, etc.  has the ability to run stereo out of a supplemental d>a converter and sounds (imho) REALLY nice for analog out from a pc.  Further, has a bit-perfect optical digital out.

Finally, the chaintech uses the same via envy chipset as several very nice pro cards (echo julia, etc.)

BobW

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:31:46 AM »
Good for under $200

Echo Mia (older)
ESI Juli@
EMU 1212
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (older)

Heading up the $ ladder:
Lynx
MOTU
RME Hammerfalls

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 10:43:53 AM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

I am leaning towards the ESI Juli@ right now due to it's favorable reputation and its balanced TRS outputs. Unfortunately at this time it seems that  every one of their dealers in the US is sold out and the cards are on back order. I am being told any where from one week to two months to these are again available. Keep hearing stories about them being held up in US customs?

I am not really in a rush to get this, is this card worth the wait?

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 10:45:36 AM »
I have a echo mia and I love it.  Had spdif in/out via a break out cable. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 11:17:10 AM »
one issue that's worth mentioning.  If you're planning on using the card's analog outs (as opposed to digital outs), the inside of a computer is chock-full of electromagnetic interference and is therefore not a good environment for analog signals (i.e. you'll pick up noise).

Still think that you might be VERY pleasantly surprised by the sound of the chaintech av-710's analog out.  Further elaboration, the via envy chipset provides 5.1 analog output.  In order to allow the chaintech to provide 7.1 analog output, the manufacturers added a 2 channel burr-brown d>a converter.  The card has a "high quality stereo out" option that allows one to route stereo analog out through the burr brown, and to perform upsample d>a conversion, etc.  Result is a surprisingly warm and accurate d>a conversion.  Yes, the card only has 1/8" stereo mini outs, but ESPECIALLY for the money, this is a giant killer as far as 2 channel analog out (and bit-perfect spdif) is concerned.  At a minimum, at a whopping $25, worth checking out while waiting for the echo julia (which uses the same via envy24ht-s chipset) to become available.

fwiw

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 11:19:13 AM »
dsnacks, thanks for your message.  I was looking for a card with burr browns to satisfy my desires temporarily until I can gather the scratch for a dac... I might have to step up to this card.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »
one issue that's worth mentioning.  If you're planning on using the card's analog outs (as opposed to digital outs), the inside of a computer is chock-full of electromagnetic interference and is therefore not a good environment for analog signals (i.e. you'll pick up noise).

Hmm, interesting. Would an external sound card be the better way to go? Do they make external sound cards?

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 11:30:54 AM »
Turns out I was wrong on the chaintech -- it uses a Wolfson WM8728 DAC for the high quality (24/192 bit-capable) d>a converter

See: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=848255#post848255 for a review and http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75655 for setup optimization instructions. (I HOPE these are still current, the site's blocked for me)

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 01:29:09 PM »

Hmm, interesting. Would an external sound card be the better way to go? Do they make external sound cards?

Best solution is an external d>a converter, could be something as simple as an unmodded edirol ua5 (which I hear sound good) via usb.  External usb soundcards such as the m-audio audiophile usb or firewire could be good too, though I know nothing about what d>a converters, etc. they use.

BobW

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 12:07:25 AM »

Have you ever put it on a spectrum analyser to see how much noise actually comes through?
I keep meaning to do this and haven't, but to my ears there's little or no noise compared to the external DAC with the Juli@.
I did have a time with an ESI driver conflict, but resolved it by uninstalling Norton Systemworks.
I also find the Juli@ pops on power-up, something I have always despised in any audio device.
I don't power the monitors until the PC is up to avoid the pop.

As far as EMI noise, the use of correct-sized ferrite on the analog outs/ins will help a great deal, as will proper grounding technique.

Side note:
My current ground-loop problem turned out to be from the cable wire into the box into my tv and back to my DVD player!
Once I used an isolation transformer on the cable wire, evertything quieted down enormously.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 12:10:44 AM »
I don't think I hear it in the nightingale either, but I've never done a/b tests to see.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 12:33:46 AM »
chaintech av-710 -- check out head-fi.org for details, can be had for around $25 from newegg, etc.  has the ability to run stereo out of a supplemental d>a converter and sounds (imho) REALLY nice for analog out from a pc.  Further, has a bit-perfect optical digital out.

Finally, the chaintech uses the same via envy chipset as several very nice pro cards (echo julia, etc.)

i think this is the exact card i have, i just use the optical out>receiver and use foobar 2000 for PC playback and couldnt be happier :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com