Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Josephson, Neumann, Audix or ADK?  (Read 8913 times)

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
Re:Josephson, Neumann, Audix or ADK?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2004, 12:41:01 PM »
Well, my dilemma was solved pretty easily since Chris decided to move to team AKG.  I now have his Josephsons and we'll find out if I can duplicate the success he's had with them.

+t to all (especially Chris for a great deal)

Cheers thanks.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2004, 04:26:25 PM »
hands down the ADK, versatility is the name of the game. I am usually a neumann fluffer yet, as Johnny, the 184 is my least favorite. The m300 are a nice fixed cap cardioid, and I haven't heard that many josephson tapes to form an opinion, but to me the adk has so many applications with 5 settings right there on the mic, how can ya beat that?

only 4 on the adk, they are subcard less  :'(
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2004, 04:51:02 PM »
still between the options it is the best to me
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2004, 05:15:14 PM »
still between the options it is the best to me

versatility is great.

I like being able to walk into a show and choose the exact pattern that I want.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ToddL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I feel more like I did a while ago than I do now.
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2004, 09:01:42 PM »
Man, the amount of times that the versatility of my TL's has saved the tape is unreal.  I'd say about 25% of the time, I use a different pattern than I originally planned when leaving the house.  The difference that this change makes in the tape is unbelievable most of the time.  example... Garaj Mahal in nederland, walked in planning to go with onstage cards XY.  Well Alan Hertz was set up front and center, so that would've resorted in a drum based recording if set up in the center, or missing something else if we moved to either side.  Hey, why not run 15' split omni's?  Nice to have that option.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2004, 09:29:51 PM »
Both times that I used the TL's outdoors was recording If there is a breath of wind present, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the TL omnis though.

not trying to come across as a know-it-all, but there is no benefit (in decreasing of susceptibility to wind noise) in using the omni setting on multi pattern mics when the pattern is electronically derived as it is in the TLs.  In essense you are still using two cardiod capsules so the effect of wind will not change. The footnote is that on capsule like the Schoeps MK-5s and the Shures that are mechanically set by closing the back ports you then have a true pressure transducer with no attributes of a gradient (velocity) transducer so the omni setting as resistance to the transmission of wind noise.  

just a little taper trivia

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com