Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853, SP-CMC-4, or something else  (Read 3548 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
AT853, SP-CMC-4, or something else
« on: March 22, 2004, 11:28:42 AM »
Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a pair of stealth mics.  I'm thinking of the AT 853.  I've read the other recent posts on this subject and still have a couple of questions.

1.  What is the difference between the 853A and the 853Rx?  Which do I want?

2.  I will be using 48v phantom power.  The SP-CMC-4 is modified to run with a 9v battery, but SP will modify them to run on phantom power for an additional $78.  This is the same configuration as the stock AT853, but costs less.  Am I better off buying a pair of stock 853s from an AT dealer, or buying the SPs?  Besides the power source, are there other differences between the SP and stock versions?

3.  SP says that the SP-CMC-4 is a "matched pair" of mics.  How important is this for these mics?  If I purchase a pair of 853s from an authorized AT dealer, will they be matched?  Do you think SP really matches their pairs?

4.  The stock version of these mics comes with a 25' cable that is permanently mounted on the mic.  It seems like this is a very long cable for a stealth mic that you carry on your body.  Do people who purchase these mics modify the cable length?

5.  Are there any other stealth mics I should be looking at?  Are the Core Sound High End Binaurals worth the extra money?

Thanks for the advice!
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline teajay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re:AT853, SP-CMC-4, or something else
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 11:42:23 AM »
While I can't really answer many of the questions I can say this...

You'll have to let everyone know your budget, especially since you mentioned 853's in the same thread as CS HEB's... It's almost like comparing night and day as you're looking at $1000 for a set of mics compared to ~300 (I could be way off on this one).

Also, I cannot imagine many people carry 25ft cables for stealth jobs, so you'd either wanna buy some canare cable sand neutrik connectors and build some cables or hack the 25's you get... of c ourse if you enjoy the DIY, otherwise i think buying shorter cables would work :)

Sorry it's not much help...

I know Schwilly runs the Rx's and some others around here, they'll be a hell of a lot more helpful..
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 12:16:03 PM »
Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a pair of stealth mics.  I'm thinking of the AT 853.  I've read the other recent posts on this subject and still have a couple of questions.

I am not familiar with the A, but have the RX versions...the advantage with these is that they will take a full 48V of phantom powering.

2.  I will be using 48v phantom power.  The SP-CMC-4 is modified to run with a 9v battery, but SP will modify them to run on phantom power for an additional $78.  This is the same configuration as the stock AT853, but costs less.  Am I better off buying a pair of stock 853s from an AT dealer, or buying the SPs?  Besides the power source, are there other differences between the SP and stock versions?

If you are buying the SP mics that give you the option to run on either the batt box or a full 48V, you will have some flexibility, allowing you to either carry a 48V power source or just the batt box.  My opinion though..at about the same price, if you are going to us a 48V phantom source most of the time, I would just get the AT853Rx.  Use the search function and you will see alot of the problems I was having with the non 48V units at bass heavy shows.

3.  SP says that the SP-CMC-4 is a "matched pair" of mics.  How important is this for these mics?  If I purchase a pair of 853s from an authorized AT dealer, will they be matched?  Do you think SP really matches their pairs?

I dont think it will be a big deal in this case.  AT probably uses somewhat stringent manuf standards, and they will be relatively close.  I have an unmatched pair and have not noticed one being any hotter, or sound different than the other.

4.  The stock version of these mics comes with a 25' cable that is permanently mounted on the mic.  It seems like this is a very long cable for a stealth mic that you carry on your body.  Do people who purchase these mics modify the cable length?

You can modify the cable, there are instructions with the AT853RX to do it.  Not difficult at all  Mine are currently 7 ft each.

5.  Are there any other stealth mics I should be looking at?  Are the Core Sound High End Binaurals worth the extra money?

Thanks for the advice!

I am not a fan of the HEBs, if I was going to get a set of DPA capsule based mics, I would just buy the 4061s directly, wth the DPA powering module.  But as some have stated earlier, this puts you at a different price point than what you were originally looking at.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 12:19:46 PM by nickgregory »

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 02:44:25 PM »

different powering modules.  853a comes with AT8532 (battery/phantom) and the 853Rx comes with AT8533x (phantom only).

if you're going to use phantom only, then i would recommend you get the real deal AT853Rx.  i've seen them go for around $300 new for a pair.

they are probably "matched" by just looking and making sure they are selling you 2 mics of the same model.  :lol

yes. i belive the AT853Rx will let you customize your cable length.

i have many great recordings made by HEB and i have many not-so-good ones as well.  there is, however, a large price difference...approximately 3X.  

in my listening experience, unless you're in the "right" spot with the HEB, they pick up too much of the boominess.  i think they sound better outdoors than indoors.

hope this helped and happy choosing,
marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 02:50:03 PM »
Hey,

The "a" model, to my knowledge allows you to run battery or phantom power.  It comes with the detachable AT8533 power module, whereas the the Rx (phantom only) comes with the in-line AT8533x, that is built with the cable and is non-detachable.

this is the $100 adapter kit  This is basically like the 853a or other mods hoyt and leegeddy did to allow the mics to be run off both types of power.  The only difference between the modified SP mics and the AT853a mics are the brand of power modules used and the type of connection used with battery power.  I believe SP uses Samson brand modules.  Actually, here is a quote from the SP website, "The phantom power kit includes two phantom power adapters (Samson PM-4) and two high quality gold plated cable adapters as shown in the picture below."

I had noticed on the pair of AT853Rx mics I was borrowing that the "left" mic was 2-3 dB "louder."  I couldn't hear the difference, and I don't know if the original owner had them matched, just giving my feedback.

length usually gets modified.  If you get them from SP, they will probably give you whatever cable length you want.

that depends on what your ears like :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 02:53:40 PM by Schwillster »

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 03:21:18 PM »
Schwill, you are motivated today! Hella!

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 03:49:34 PM »
Thanks for your responses.  I hope my questions are not too stupid.

SP sells a phantom power only modification for these mics for $79:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=SP-PHANTOM-MOD&type=store

They also sell an adaptor kit which allows both phantom and battery for $120 ($100 with the mics):
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=SP-PHANTOM&type=store

I was thinking of the $79 mod because I will be using phantom power all the time.   The SP's with the phantom power mod cost $248.  A pair of 853s (phantom power only) costs at least  $300 (SP sells them for $179 each).  Am I missing something?  Why would I want to buy the standard AT 853s when I can get exactly the same thing for at least $50 less?

I don't think I want to spend the money for the HEBs or DPAs.  I was just curious if there were other stealth mics that I should listen to before buying.  What about the AT 943?

Thanks again.  I hope to roll out my rig this week.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 04:02:14 PM »
I was thinking of the $79 mod because I will be using phantom power all the time.   The SP's with the phantom power mod cost $248.  A pair of 853s (phantom power only) costs at least  $300 (SP sells them for $179 each).  Am I missing something?  Why would I want to buy the standard AT 853s when I can get exactly the same thing for at least $50 less?

SP phantom power mod uses Samson modules.  no mic mounts, no rolloff, no windscreen, etc.

AT853Rx package comes as a set with AT8533x modules, which also has a rolloff option on the module, mic mounts, windscreen, hanger gadget.  personally, i think they are apples and oranges in comparison.  since there is a $ difference between the 2 pkgs, it's really up to you.

"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 04:18:25 PM »
Thanks for your responses.  I hope my questions are not too stupid.

SP sells a phantom power only modification for these mics for $79:
PHANTOM MOD

They also sell an adaptor kit which allows both phantom and battery for $120 ($100 with the mics):
PHANTOM/BATTERY MOD

thanx for the info, i had no idea

I don't think I want to spend the money for the HEBs or DPAs.  I was just curious if there were other stealth mics that I should listen to before buying.  What about the AT 943?

Thanks again.  I hope to roll out my rig this week.

again, the Rx have the power modules terminals in-line, making one less connection than what SP offers with the Samson adapters.

marc, mentioned some valid points above

the AT943 (now ES943) are thinner in dimension however they do not have interchangable caps so you are stuck with the pattern you pick.

roll away!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com