Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: suggestions on a/d, pre  (Read 9840 times)

Offline derekw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
suggestions on a/d, pre
« on: February 25, 2003, 10:23:40 PM »
Ok, so here is my setup as of now,  i have ordered the akg c1000s and will be running into a sony mz-n707 (minidisc, i know!  will be upgrading when i get the $!).  Right now i am wondering what kind of a/d and/or pre i should get.  the main thing is price for me, i would like to get something that is quality but also costs <500 (hopefully an a/d and pre bundled together in the same thing)  also, i may be looking into a laptop recording setup, who knows, right now i just need some advice!

thanks!

DaryanLenz

Re:suggestions on a/d, pre
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 10:35:33 PM »
Your only options in that price rande would be the ua-5, denecke ad-20, and a used mp-2.  I am not sure how much you wil benefit from an outboard pre running into minidisc, but who knows, try it I guess.  I would actually get the ua-5 if you are considering going the laptop route, as it has usb out as well as the others.  If you go ua-5, make sure you get the caox out mod by doug at oade or the coax out is not active as a stand alone unit, which is what you will need until you get a lapt6op, dat, hd recorder, or what I would call a non compressed recorder ;D  Sorry.  OK, so now that we got all of that, onto the reccomendations.  I did NOT like the pre in the ua-5, as it got loud when I cranked up the gain, and my mics require a good amount of gain to run the levels as hot as I like to.  Now, that being said, a lot of people like the unit, as well as the fact that doug is working on some new mods for the ua-5's pre which should help.  The mp-2 is wayyyy underrated as far as I am concerned, adding a lot of depth in the low end, sometimes to much, but...PLus, as you upgrade your gear, I think you will be happier with the mp-2 more so than the other units.  One other thing I forgot to mention is that the ua-5 supports 24/96 if you are into that.  I am not, as I can;t hear the damn difference, but m aybe later!

Feel free to ask more questions, I got all night!

Daryan Lenz

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 11:08:08 PM »
hey D,

does that UA5 geezmo have an optical-> output?  ;)

i'm thinkin' Derek here could get a UA5, and a JB3 for his 500.00 and be doin' pretty well for himself.  eliminate the compressed recording right out of the box.  

~S  

Offline derekw

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 11:19:27 PM »
thanks for the input.  i noticed that the ua-5 doesn't have batteries, what would be needed to run this in the field?  also, on the jb3, there are no levels on this correct?  how well would that work?

thanks again for the help

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 11:39:08 PM »
The new firmware supports levels on the lcd, I have not seen them, but they sound like they are ok.  Powering the ua-5 is REALLY easy, 6-10 hours for less than 40 bucks at the radio shack using 9.6v r/c car batteries.  Actually, I have a d-cell unit sitting here you could have and use too!

Daryan

Offline derekw

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 11:55:32 PM »
well, now that the jb3 has levels on it, that might be the way to go for me.  where did you hear about this new firmware, i would be interested in seeing an article or something about this.  i have been reading about the jb3 in some articles and other threads and was wondering if this is a viable recording option, is there still dropouts or is that fixed too?  

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 12:41:51 AM »
That appears to be fixed too with the latest firmware release.  Check the dat-head archives for today and yesterday!

Daryan

Offline derekw

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 01:56:06 AM »
i checked out the dat heads archive and read all of the recent posts on the jb3, it seems that most people have been using some pre and then going through the co2 converter, if i used the ua-5 i could bypass this correct?  i could go directly from the ua-5 into the optical line in on the jb3 and everthing would be cool, right.

Offline derekw

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 02:06:21 AM »
by the way, thanks for all this help!  much appreciated for a first time poster!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2003, 04:40:23 AM »
Derek - yes, running UA-5 > JB3 would not require the CO2 converter b/c the UA-5 has an optical out.  And coax.  And USB.  Nice flexibility.

Here's some good info on building a compact, long-lasting battery pack for the UA5:

http://www.jordanshapiro.net/ua5.htm

(looks like the site  might be down right now, unfortunately)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2003, 11:32:39 AM »
If you don't go the JB3 route and have $500 to spend, you may want  to look into getting a used M1 or D100.  Each has a decent A/D in it and you can upgrade to DAT at the same time.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2003, 12:25:43 PM »
I ran a Zefrio Inbox/AD-20 with a minidisc for a few years and it was indeed a step up from just running line in/mic in.  You eliminate the internal A to D of the MD unit and get a much quieter, cleaner sound.  Well worth the $$ IMO...

I now run a Nomad JB3; indeed with the newest firmware you have level meters.  It's a pretty nice setup, I *love* the ability to listen to the show I just taped on the way home (via a cassette adapter in my car) and then hook up the USB cable when i get home and suck the show down.  Very convienient.

To be honest, the AD-20 was a MUCH bigger upgrade in sound quality than the NJB3 was.  I know people scoff at MD, but if you have a good external A to D it's often difficult to tell the difference between MD and uncompressed.  The difference is there, but I need to playback the shows on my $12k home hifi rig to tell the difference.

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2003, 02:51:24 PM »
At the Derek Trucks show here in P-Town a guy was running the most highend MD rig I had ever seen.
MGs (not sure witch ones)>V3>MD I told him I would sell him my D100 and he said he was waiting for a hard disc recorder to come out.  I ran C1000S>ad-20>MD till I bought a DAT and was quite pleased with the results.  Peace, Matt
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2003, 07:43:50 PM »
Been sayin' it all along... ;D
Armen

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2003, 11:14:00 PM »
V3 to MD...that is strange. A D8 or D7 isn't going to set you back that much.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2003, 08:59:09 AM »
I don't see it as strange.  The guy is waiting for pro-level hard drive recorders, and he probably had the MD sitting around collecting dust.  Why spend the scratch on a DAT when he know's he'll be tossing it down the road?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2003, 10:12:17 AM »
I guess I can understand why some folks are waiting for the "portable HD" type solution, but to be honest, I dont see any credible evidence that we will see anything in the size range of DAT in the near future.  As a result, stealthing will likely continue to be a DAT medium...strictly based on size...guess alot of it depends on what you are taping...

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2003, 10:26:46 AM »
Well, you can always use a Nomad JB3.  I love mine.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2003, 10:46:57 AM »
True, but while there are still reliability issues with the JB3, I will be sticking with my D100!

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2003, 10:54:19 AM »
I have no reliability issues with my NJB3, while using the newest firmware.  I even use it to do MD-opticalout-optical in NJB3 to transfer old shows I have on MD to the NJB3, and then USB to my PC (much more reliable and quicker than using optical in on my soundcard and running a capture)

FWIW, YMMV, of course ;)

Tim

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2003, 11:43:33 AM »
If the JB3 had a coax in I'd own one right now. It doesn't so I'll wait and contnue using DAT in the meantime.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2003, 11:47:48 AM »
Yes, I agree, that sucks bigtime.  I have been mulling over the purchase of a V3, but I have heard the S/PDIF to optical converters (like the CO2) aren't always that great...

jpschust

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2003, 04:16:41 PM »
my CO2 works just fine :-)  

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2003, 04:18:51 PM »
So maybe I should go for the V3, then?  :D

Guess I just need to get used to the idea of the converter when I upgrade the a/d/pre.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com