Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Copying miniDV; Camera>camera or camera>HDD>camera?  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Copying miniDV; Camera>camera or camera>HDD>camera?
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
I have a concert taped on an 80-minute miniDV in LP mode (about 100 minutes). The artist would like a copy, but I am not sure how best to get the uncompressed footage to him so he can edit, etc. Should I use firewire to dub from one camera to another? If so, do I set the recording camera to LP (I have another 80-minute blank), or to SP and use multiple tapes?

Or, should I import the video to HDD (iMovie) and then export from HDD back to camera? Again, in LP or SP mode, or does it not matter since it is digital info? TIA.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Copying miniDV; Camera>camera or camera>HDD>camera?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »
why do you need to involve a 2nd camera at all? if he wants to edit it, there is no way to do editing on the tape itself so he'll just have to transfer that 2nd tape to his hard drive anyway. i think you're making this more complicated than it has to be. just capture the raw footage and give him the raw, uncompressed file.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:51:17 PM »
why do you need to involve a 2nd camera at all? if he wants to edit it, there is no way to do editing on the tape itself so he'll just have to transfer that 2nd tape to his hard drive anyway. i think you're making this more complicated than it has to be. just capture the raw footage and give him the raw, uncompressed file.
cost
a dv tape is much less then a hd/thumb drive/sd card

if cost isn't a factor then put the raw file on a sd card (you would need approx 16gb for standard def footage) and also include the iMovie project that it was captured to

either way camera > camera or iMovie > camera will work as long as your camera will except the "in" and i don't think recording the 2nd in sp will make any difference
kinda the same way as converting a mp3 to wav will not make it better
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:04:19 AM »
Yeah, I want to mail this several states away, and don't want to send a HDD or memory card, so tape is the least expensive way to make a copy. I get that I can't get SP quality from an LP recording, but I wanted to make sure that an LP recording of an LP recording wasn't going to have a loss of quality, like a jpeg of a jpeg.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 12:11:25 AM »
nope quality is the same SP or LP

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:15:17 AM »
But wouldn't the quality be slightly less than that of the original?

In a different thread I learned copying a jpg and re-saving the jpg will result in loss of quality but the simple transmission or duplication of an image would not degrade it. Tape would be different, though.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
No theres no loss of quality going tape to tape with firewire.thats a digital clone the same as the original. If you use something other than firewire than there IS a loss.

Offline chicofishhead

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 11:03:28 PM »
You can burn the QT files to DVDRs and send them.  That's cheaper than MiniDV tape, and easier for the editor.  I just did that yesterday.
You have to break the video up into segments of 21 minutes or less though.  And if the editor isn't on a Mac you need to convert to AVI or something.  It would be quicker on your end to just clone the tape.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:05:14 PM by chicofishhead »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
No theres no loss of quality going tape to tape with firewire.thats a digital clone the same as the original. If you use something other than firewire than there IS a loss.

OOOOH. my bad I missed the firewire part of the equation.  :-X
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 09:48:11 AM »
After transferring the miniDV tape to you hard drive, you could use some zipping software like WinRAR to split the file into 4GB archives. Burn each part to a DVD. When the recipient receives the discs, he would copy each DVD in to one folder on his computer and then use WinRAR to extract it into a single file.

You can download a trial version of WinRAR here: (Windows, OSX and Linux versions are available)
http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

One thing to consider if you decide to copy the video onto a new tape in LP mode. Some miniDV cameras are picky when playing back video recorded in LP mode.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
If you're truly concerned about the artist having the easiest time possible transferring the footage then dump the tape to HDD, use your editor to split it at some point and print each segment back to a tape in SP mode. As sabre noted some consumer grade cameras are pick about playing back tapes that were recorded in LP mode on another camera. If you aren't concerned about how the artist transfers or edits it after they've received it then you can go camera > camera via firewire or camera > HDD > camera. There's no loss in quality either way. Transferring DV footage via firewire to HDD or camera is basically like copying a file from once drive to another. It's all 0's and 1's so you're not re-compressing anything, just transferring data/

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »
Thanks, all. I was able to transfer to HDD, and then export back to tape, recording in SP mode for best compatibility. Both tapes went out in the mail today.  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com