Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording  (Read 13237 times)

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording
« on: August 17, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »
I'm buying a Tascam DR-05 with a set of cardioid mics with a battery box that has bass roll off. This will be my first foray into stealth recording. Any ideas about setting recording levels, bass roll off? I will be sitting withing the first 10 rows. Thanks in advance.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Recording
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:30:27 AM »

Don't use the built in bass roll off especially with small cardioid mics. You can do it later with software if it's needed.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:54:28 AM »
What mics are you buying and what kind of music are you recording ?
About mics mounting: the higher the better.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:09:56 PM »
The first show will be a jazz group. The 2nd show will be a rock and blues show. The mics will be the SP-CMC-2's.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 03:29:43 PM »
If you have the time, bring headphones, and go record something you don't care about.

Talk into the mics as you set levels. Call out your level changes, then go listen back. If it's convenient, go outside and listen, or wait for set break and do more experimenting.

If you don't have time to get to a real venue and try it with a band or DJ, you can use your home stereo, set to moderately loud volume. Try to simulate what you expect to hear from your location at the show you want to record.

Have fun!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 07:24:37 AM »
The first show will be a jazz group. The 2nd show will be a rock and blues show. The mics will be the SP-CMC-2's.

Definitely no bass roll-off with cardioïds.
SP-CMC-2's (Audio Technica AT831) are great mics. I've heard a bunch of enjoiable recordings made with them. Do you have the standard configuration or the high SPL versions ?

The standard configuration comes with the two microphone cables terminated together into standard stereo gold plated 1/8" (3.5mm) mini plug. The high SPL versions (with XLR phantom plugs or with the AT8532 power modules) come with each mic on separate cable and connector.

The standard configuration might get you a distorted recording at loud SPL concerts.
If the blues/rock band you want to tape has huge sound, better not stand too close to the speakers...
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »
Mine will be standard configuration. The jazz show I will be fairly close but the other show I'll be back further.

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 10:03:27 AM »
When hooking everything up, the mics plug into the ugly box and that plugs into mics/ ext in on the Tascam DR-05?

ilduclo

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 04:34:21 PM »
what morst said. Try the system out on some similar shows in similar venues, will help you hone it in. If the musicians are amenable to taping, ask them if they can help you set your levels early (have them play the loudest parts that they will do, then set your levels to just under clippy there. BTW, if noone said, record in 24 bit and it can be boosted in post without hiss

:yahoo:

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »
When hooking everything up, the mics plug into the ugly box and that plugs into mics/ ext in on the Tascam DR-05?

Yep.  An important thing is getting a good input level setting on both the CA-UGLY and DR-05.  This is called gain-staging.

If using a CA-UGLY V1 (which has only two small trimmer pots providing a gain adjustment range between mute and+20dB), start by turning the pots on the CA-UGLY all the way up and control recording levels using the input level control on the DR-05.

If using a CA-UGLY V2 (which features a rotary multi-position gain adjustment switch in addition to the trimmer pots, and has a gain adjustment range of between mute and+40dB), start by turning the trimmer pots on the CA-UGLY all the way up, set the rotary switch to the middle position, and control recording levels using the input level control on the DR-05.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 07:53:53 PM »
I have just the basic ugly battery box.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 08:52:38 PM »
I have just the basic ugly battery box.

A basic ugly box with bass rolloff? Wha?

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 10:44:04 PM »
The Church Audio UBB 9V battery box. Just a basic power source for the mics. No roll off.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 11:12:43 PM »
The Church Audio UBB 9V battery box. Just a basic power source for the mics. No roll off.

Ah, misunderstood.

I'm not a DR-05 user, but this would seem to simplify things. Just mics > ugly box > DR-05, set the gain, and you're done. Though I would second the recommendation that you test out the whole system under real-world conditions if at all possible — can you possibly record during soundcheck, or an opening band, then listen back before the main set?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 09:28:35 AM »
Yes. That simplifies things significantly for you.

Microphones > battery-box > Microphone-input on recorder

And only a single point of gain adjustment- on the recorder itself.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.2 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com