Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is the low sensitivity mod required for SP cards?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline AndyLGR

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Is the low sensitivity mod required for SP cards?
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
I currently use my mics through an Sp-sb-11 battery box into an editol r-09, and I record rock shows stealthy, they could be in arenas, theatres, basically all kinds if venues.  I asked SP if i bought cmc-8 mics would they need the low sensitivity mod applying to them, their answer was yes if it will be ear bleeding loud, but no if they won't be that loud. As a guide they said that approx 1 in 50 have the mod done.

My question to those with experience of these mics is this, is the low sensitivity mod necessary?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is the low sensitivity mod required for SP cards?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:12:27 AM »
You mean my mod lol Most of the 900 series mics will not benefit from my mod since SP has no way of measuring distortion that I know of. They sell it to people anyway. The 900 series mics has a problem with High spl and no mods will fix it. Its something to do with the diaphragm bottoming out on that mic. The 853 series needs the mod and does not have the same issue with the diaphragm.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:16:28 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline AndyLGR

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:16:26 AM »
Thanks Chris, I didnt know the history of the mod.

So basically it doesn't do much for the AT900 series mics, which makes me wonder why offer it in the first place.

Does this potential issue cause problems with recordings? Does anyone with these mics have any issues?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »
Thanks Chris, I didnt know the history of the mod.

So basically it doesn't do much for the AT900 series mics, which makes me wonder why offer it in the first place.

Does this potential issue cause problems with recordings? Does anyone with these mics have any issues?

I have the means to test a mic for acoustic distortion, something very few companies my size have. It was an expensive investment of software and hardware.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:13:57 AM »
i wouldn't say it NEEDS it, but it def is a benefit
there are plenty of good recordings made without the mod
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:55:10 AM »
I have the CMC-8s and the only mod that was advised for me to get (to increase the SPL tolerance) was to convert them from a single stereo mini-plug into individual mini-XLR connectors and to use some AT phantom power supplies instead of a standard battery box.  I used the mics for probably 5 or 6 years without this mod before I ever found myself in a situation where I had some low-end distortion in a very bass-heavy venue.  The phantom power mod was advertised as the way to prevent that.  However, about 3 years ago, and not more than a few months after I had the mod done, I bought some Neumann KM140s, so I haven't used the CMC-8s more than a few times with the mod and can't testify to how beneficial the mod was.  SP is right, though, in advising you that it takes a pretty loud environment to overload the stock CMC-8s.  I wasn't recording heavy metal, but it was always loud rock in small bars/clubs and it took years before I encountered that one venue that gave me problems.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »
Even if distortion occurs rarely with CMC-8's, I would still recommend getting modded CMC-4's if you are going to use the cardioid pattern (or get CA cards if you don't need changeable caps). Even Sound Pro's will tell you that CMC-4 cards sound better that CMC-8 cards (perhaps as a result of the CMC-8's smaller size).

Despite the CMC-4's larger size, they are still not hard to stealth with and cost less.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:49:39 AM »
I have the CMC-8s and the only mod that was advised for me to get (to increase the SPL tolerance) was to convert them from a single stereo mini-plug into individual mini-XLR connectors and to use some AT phantom power supplies instead of a standard battery box.  I used the mics for probably 5 or 6 years without this mod before I ever found myself in a situation where I had some low-end distortion in a very bass-heavy venue.  The phantom power mod was advertised as the way to prevent that.  However, about 3 years ago, and not more than a few months after I had the mod done, I bought some Neumann KM140s, so I haven't used the CMC-8s more than a few times with the mod and can't testify to how beneficial the mod was.  SP is right, though, in advising you that it takes a pretty loud environment to overload the stock CMC-8s.  I wasn't recording heavy metal, but it was always loud rock in small bars/clubs and it took years before I encountered that one venue that gave me problems.

The stock 900 mics I have measured at 114 db at 1 k were over 5% thd. That were wired 2 wire. Three wire would be better for these mics you are correct. Its not advised to run 2 wire with 900 series mics.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 08:03:15 AM »
My CMC-4's with the omni caps distorted on me.  It's a good idea to get Chris' mod no matter what capsule is used on the 4's.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 01:38:26 PM »
+1 to what everyone's saying... go with the 853 (CMC-4) model if you insist on staying with the SP mics.  I had the CMC-8's (AT-933/c) back in the day and managed to overload them on more than one occasion.  Personally, I'm not a fan of SP's mics, period.

If you're looking for an inexpensive mic solution, go with Chris Church's CA-14 cards.  They've *NEVER* overloaded on me at any point.  I also loved his CA-14 omnis until I recently upgraded to something more expensive but they served me well also.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
If you're looking for an inexpensive mic solution, go with Chris Church's CA-14 cards.  They've *NEVER* overloaded on me at any point.  I also loved his CA-14 omnis until I recently upgraded to something more expensive but they served me well also.

Even if not looking for an inexpensive solution, that's the way to go if you don't need interchangeable caps. Sound way better than CM-8 cards and at least as good as CM-4 cards (many think better). Being much cheaper is an extra bonus.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »

Even if not looking for an inexpensive solution, that's the way to go if you don't need interchangeable caps. Sound way better than CM-8 cards and at least as good as CM-4 cards (many think better). Being much cheaper is an extra bonus.

That's the reason I sold my CMC-8 cards and bought the CA-14s with preamp.  The CA-14 cards are better sounding, as you say, than the CMC-8's... and are on par with the 4's (matter of personal taste as you also said).   The only reason I sold my CA-14 omnis was because I recently picked up a pair of 4061's otherwise I'd still be using the CA-14's as well.  Chris' mics are not expensive and do perform as well as many mics costing five times as much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com