Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best built-in mics in portable recorder  (Read 6652 times)

Offline KenOrwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best built-in mics in portable recorder
« on: March 11, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »
Hello, guys,

I want to buy a portable recorder to record indoor music concerts (classical) and some rehearsals.
I would be looking for a recorder with good internal microphones. Yes, I know that this is a contradiction, we all know the electret mics. Since I don't need XLR or PIP inputs, the possibilities in the market are greatly reduced, and I already have another recorder (Fostex FR2-LE) for this.
Based on the quality of the internal microphones (built-in) what would you recommend?

Sony PCM  D100
Tascam Dr100mk3
Roland R-07 (possible successor of the M10)
Olympus LS-100

Any experience with these other recorders?
Thank you very much.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Best built-in mics in portable recorder
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:57:45 PM »

Internal mics - Tascam DR2D
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »

Better than Sony D100?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »

Better than Sony D100?

Law of diminishing returns. I would take the sound of the mics in a DR2d for less than $150 used over the sound of the D100 at $775 new. Both have cardioid mics. The mics in the Sony are adjustable.

If the recordings you are making are critical and you have the money to spend by all means go for the Sony. If you are just recording some rehearsals the Dr2D is more than adequate.
The cost differential on the two machines is also largely based around the DSD capability and other features of the Sony that aren't in cheaper recorders. I wouldn't say that the actual microphones are that much different.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
I record quieter natural ambiences mainly, and I've owned a number all-in-one portable recorders. The Sony PCM-D100 has the best mics on any I've used. I've actually got two now, since I picked up a secondhand one for £225 GBP which is about $320.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:29:46 PM by adrianb »
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »
Of your choices: Olympus LS-100     Of course it is more expensive than the others. I have direct experience with an LS-10 which is excellent at the type of recording you are describing.

I'm modifying my comment after reading voltronics': My buddy got an Tascam Dr100mk1 and it works great. the improvements for the mkIII make it a wiser choice than the Olympus. (which is what I term a "pen-style" recorder- great for the internals, but not external mic use)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:49:25 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
I would go for the Tascam DR-100 mkIII, the best bang for your buck.  It has a proven track record around here, and speaking as another classical recording guy, the ability to record a set of safety tracks is a huge feature when you have music with wide dynamic range since limiters sound terrible on this type of music.  It also has a very good DAC and preamps should you ever need to have a second lightweight rig to run a set of external mics.  Actually it may be a higher quality recorder overall than your Fostex, since that model is a bit old by now.

The Sony DR-100 is also an excellent unit, but I'd only consider it if you can get it at a steep discount used as adiranb did.  It's quite expensive at full price given its feature set compared to the others.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 08:05:48 PM »
Don't overlook the possibility of the Zoom H2N, which has the most sophisticated multi-capsule mic set of any portable recorder on the market - though 'sophisticated' doesn't necessarily equate to 'best', I'd say that logically Zoom wouldn't have developed a recorder with that array of mics if they were crap at the outset.  Its overall form factor suggests that it's 'a mic that records' and it's also simple to use in a live situation.  And if you are mounting it relatively high for classical music recording, the display etc is on the back rather than the top, so you have some chance of seeing what it's doing during setup.

I did use mine to record a kid's symphony orchestra some years back, but the quality of the playing might distract from the quality of the recording if I posted it.  Also, it could take me rather a long time to find it!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com