Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nady DMP-2?  (Read 8919 times)

Offline gossling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Nady DMP-2?
« on: December 02, 2008, 04:10:57 AM »
Hi,

I'm looking for a preamp to connect to either a Zoom H2 or a Tascam DR-1 (or other recorder, I guess).  This Nady is cheap and battery powered, which is the only preamp I've found that fits the criteria.  The specs are all on this link:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-DMP2-Dual-Mic-PreAmp-?sku=180156

I tried to calculate battery life:
Current Drain (of the above NADY preamp on 9V battery):
Phantom Power Off ............................................................................................24mA no signal,
27mA max signal
Phantom Power On ............................................................................................27mA no signal,
40mA max signal

therefore,
no phantom power, no signal:
500 mAh (battery capacity) / 24 mAh (preamp consumption) = 20.83 hours
or, with phantom power at max signal:
500 mAh / 40 mAh = 12.5 hours

Not sure if this is at all accurate. 

Anyways, does anyone have any first-hand experience with this? I basically need something to get my phantom-powered microphones (which I haven't even bought yet...) to line-level so I can connect to a recorder, without making too much noise (this is the only thing to look for in a non-tube preamp, right?).  The only budget recorders that offer phantom power on-board (correct me if I'm wrong) are the Zoom H4 and the two Microtracks, both of which have issues with their inputs, so I'm forced to use external.

Thanks!

Offline brownm84

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Nady DMP-2?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »
Depending on what recorder you are going to run it into have you considered getting a battery box and using the on board preamp?  I use an R-09HR which has a very respectable built in preamp and would highly recommend it.

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
I think that an external preamp like this Nady or another I posted the link elsewhere (a cheap ART solid state pre, also battery-powered) maybe don't offer a better quality than Edirol R09HR on-board preamps(I will tell you soon, as I'll receive the recorder tomorrow!).
So a battery box or an external phantom power unit may do well.
My only concern is about gain levels, which can be adjustable for each channel only if you use an external preamp.
Do you think it's gonna be an issue taping with tho mono mics? Of course there's always the possibility to balance channels in post-recording....
c

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:22:43 PM »
I had a DMP-2 for a little while.  It was OK, not any particular flavor.  I ran it twice (using Naks = no phantom power), so I honestly didn't run it enough to say what battery life is.  A typical 9V alkaline lasted an evening show (opener and main act) that's all I remember.  I don't believe it put out a real 48V, I think it was less.  Some mics are happy with 15-18V, others demand 48V.  Make sure before you buy.

Gossling, what do you own at this point?  Do you already own H2 and DR1?

A preamp is a fairly important part of the signal chain, not the ideal place to skimp.  Personally, I would recommend trying to save up a little more money and get a plain digimod UA-5 (not Warm+ or BM2P+ etc) which turn up in the yard sale for $150.  I think you will be happier in the long run.

And carpa... I've run AT853's > Batt Box > R09 a lot without the ability to manage channels individually, never been a problem.  I don't remember having to balance it in post.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:26:32 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:32:24 AM »
I played around with one briefly.  It seemed to power an LSD2 okay...but that's not a particularly current hungry mic.

This recording might be of interest - one set was LSD2>PS2>R09, the other was LSD2>DMP2>iRiver:

http://www.archive.org/details/gat2007-12-05.lsd2xy.flac16f

Offline gossling

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:09:50 AM »
I own an H2, but I have a return policy with Amazon until January 31, so I am definitely willing to send it back.

http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

I'm probably misreading it, but how is the Edirol better than the others? Marantz 620, Tascam DR-1, and Olympus LS10 and the Edirol all seem to be in the same range.  Should I not base my opinion on their preamps on those tests?

This sucks, I really thought the Nady was the answer to my problems.  My basic goal is to have a portable recorder accept professional microphones (specifically 48v condensers) with ease.  Is the MT2 really that noisy? Is there any evidence it doesn't put out the true 48V? I wouldn't mind this kind of noise at all (MT2 external):

http://cachefly.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2008/08/mt2-micro_gtr.wav

But its dynamic range according to the first link scares me.  Does its low dynamic range reduce the quality of the recording?

So I could go || pro mic -> phantom power box -> Edirol R-09HR || ?

Any recommendations on a phantom power box?

Thanks for sparing me the time and money I would have spent on that Nady!

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:45:06 AM »
ive used a dmp-2 quie a bit.

ran both cascade m-39 and behringer b-2 pro (LD multi pattern) pairs with it, and performed very well (for what i was using it for).

cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline gossling

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:50:23 PM »
ive used a dmp-2 quie a bit.

ran both cascade m-39 and behringer b-2 pro (LD multi pattern) pairs with it, and performed very well (for what i was using it for).

I know it says it does in specs, but does the Behringer truly require 48v phantom? And it put it out fine? So I can use it for phantom power after all?

Thanks

Offline heyitsmejess

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »
dont know if it actually requires 48v, but the specs (like you said) say that it does.

it put out fine!  the only problem i ever had running that setup had NOTHING to do with the preamp.

somewhere i have a sample....let me find/upload it

Offline heyitsmejess

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »
behringer b-2 pro (blumlien) > nady dmp2 > jb3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zhpm5q

Offline gossling

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
Thanks for the sample.  Sounds good to me, but I'm no expert.  So that was a stereo pair of B2's? It didn't sound like the preamp was struggling to put it out at all.  Again, this could be just because the B2 doesn't require all 48v.  Can anyone confirm that it does (or doesn't)?

Also, can anyone comment on this recording:

http://cachefly.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2008/08/mt2-micro_gtr.wav

It was done with a KM184.  Does anyone know if this requires all 48v? Would this recording be considered relatively noisy? I would be fine with this noise, which would mean I could use an MT2 instead of an H2 with external preamp.  Or could it be that the MT2 is noisier with different microphones? Can anyone link me to a thread or something that proves the MT2 doesn't put out all 48v? I think if I just had the MT2, that would increase portability and ease of connectivity considerably.  It's just one less thing I have to worry about.  Any objections?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:17:57 PM by gossling »

nameloc01

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »
I just talked to Chris at SP about this unit last week...he basically said it was an "okay" unit, but it really didn't have a low "noise" rating, at least not as low as their (SPs) preamps. Basically,a "you get what you pay for" kinda thing.

Offline hubbachild

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »
I used this pre amp with some Behringer c-2's. I thought it came out ok for being a way low budget rig. Check it out at http://www.archive.org/details/bm2008-06-24

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »
I have a DMP-2 sitting around gathering dust if anyone wants to try it out.  I usd it once with a pair of Nak 300's and wasn't that impressed, but it wasn't the best sounding room/PA to start with. 

I also hacked a cable for it to run it off a 9.6v RC battery.  Not sure if I still have that cable lying around. 

I'd probably be willing to sell it for cheap, too.  Borrow it, buy it, take it for a test drive, whatever.
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 12:51:02 PM »
I had one for a short time.  It's very middle of the road.  Not the quietest preamp in existence but not the noisiest.  It will work well if you're on a budget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com