Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 levels  (Read 12978 times)

LookDontTouch

• Trade Count: (0)
V2 levels
« on: November 10, 2004, 11:48:04 AM »
Kids,

I did Wilco the other night (Fillmore Denver) and ran my levels really hot. When i open the file up in CDWav, very little of the music was actually clipped, but the levels run into the red quite a bit. Now, if i accept the slight clipping, is there any other problem with this? i.e is the music being distorted at that level even if its not clipping? I think it sounds good, but what the hell do I know?

Thanks,
LDT

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: V2 levels
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 12:12:05 PM »
the V2 sounds clean at all gains. with a lesser pre you risk coloration and distortion as you increase the gain. I wouldn't worry about running the V2 hot, but you might want to back it off a bit if there is audible clipping or substantial visible evidence of clipping. I like my levels hot so someone else might recommend that you back them down a bit more.

So are you a new CO taper? I was at the show, actually stood right behind the section all night... fantastic show. What did you run?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 12:16:26 PM »
heyNOW!
hmm..  I need more information..   Microphones used?   A>D converter?  what recording device?

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 12:23:57 PM »
You should run your V2 at whatever amount of gain gets you appropriate levels into your ADC.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 12:26:01 PM »
duh... you guys are right. I was thinking of just the V2 and it's characteristics without thinking about how the whole rig works together...

what I said wasn't wrong but they are correct, we need to know the rest of the rig to give you better guidance.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

LookDontTouch

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 12:28:59 PM »
the V2 sounds clean at all gains. with a lesser pre you risk coloration and distortion as you increase the gain. I wouldn't worry about running the V2 hot, but you might want to back it off a bit if there is audible clipping or substantial visible evidence of clipping. I like my levels hot so someone else might recommend that you back them down a bit more.

So are you a new CO taper? I was at the show, actually stood right behind the section all night... fantastic show. What did you run?

Yeah... we actually stood together and talked about Wilco! I'm Eric's buddy Jim. I'm just getting back on this board.
My rig is MBHO hypers and an ADC-20. I thought they sounded real nice, but wanted another opinion. The clipping was really sporadic, and it was during real loud, feedback laden parts, so i don't think i could tell anyway.

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 12:30:44 PM »
Ha! what's up Jim... I didn't know you were on here.

what do you run behind the V2?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 12:41:43 PM »
I think when the V2 red light up you have 6dB of headroom until clipping? Not positive about the # but there is some good info about this on the sonicsense website under the section about calibrating your preamp and ADC together.

Take care,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

LookDontTouch

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 12:43:34 PM »

MBHO>V2>ADC-20

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 12:56:25 PM »
yes  ben..   i think it is -6 db when the red comes on..  and -14 db for the green light.. 

I personally run the v2 conservatively and my dap1's input wide open.. so I allmost never see those red lights..  but from what i understand, you can push the v2 hard.. 

I am not familiar with the adc-20 at all.. so I cant help you there..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 01:06:59 PM »

MBHO>V2>ADC-20

that's easy then... follow the instructions on this page

http://www.sonicsense.com/calpage.htm

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 04:01:38 PM »

MBHO>V2>ADC-20

Ah, well then it is simple, you can just adjust on the V2 since the cal-pots on the ADC20 have no effect anyway!   ;D

Just kidding, but I remember when my buddy first got an ADC20 and we took it out. We were turning the crap out of the pots both ways, they would just spin and spin and we couldn't even tell if anything was happening from looking at the levels on his HHb. Big  -t to Graham-Patten for such a crappy design. At least it sounded decent though... (481>V2>ADC20).

Take care,
Ben

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 06:46:38 PM »
Ben - syrek?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 08:57:42 PM »
When I got my V2, I talked to a few people who told me that you need to run the V2 with the red lights blinking to get the best sound, but that often pushed the levels so high that the SBM1 had to be run below it's optimal level.  I called Grace and they told me that the V2 will sound the same at any gain level.  So the best bet is to set your ADC within it's optimal range and set the V2 to a compatible gain even if that means a low setting without a red light flashing.

For what it worth, I did run the V2 hard several times and never had a problem with it clipping. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 10:17:55 PM »
Ben - syrek?

not Jamie, but basically the same rig he used to run...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com