Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What Happened?  (Read 3438 times)

Offline tomy01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
What Happened?
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:44:41 AM »
I went to see Alice Cooper last night in Orlando - not a bad show!  Anyway this was the first time I used my new CA-11's w/o an battery box with my Sony PCM-10.  Inserted MIC into the MIC slot on the recorder with internal power ON.

I sat in the fourth row center and below is what my settings were.  Basically what happened is distortion on mostly the bass throughout the show - any ideas?

Sony PCM-10

Recording Level - set to manual
Limiter set to ON
LPCM - set to 96/24
Mic - set LOW
DPC - set to OFF
Recording Level - set between 2 and 3
Meter Level - never went over 12db

As a matter of fact the green level meters did not even come on.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: What Happened?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »
The plug in power of the M10 did not provide enough juice to the mics. Always use your battery box and run line in at a loud rock show.

EDIT - I don't ever use the limiter. This could be another reason you saw your levels as being fine since the limiter is chopping them all off at whatever it is set to.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:22:53 AM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

ilduclo

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »
what he said, plus

1)  make sure your battery is good, too
2) unplug your mics from the battery box when you are not recording

Offline tomy01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:18:12 PM »
So the bottom line is - whenever one uses CA-11 microphones at a very LOUD or very SOFT (acoustic) show ALWAYS use a battery box?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:26:43 PM »
AND, be sure to do a dry run beforehand -- you should be able to ROUGHLY approximate a loud venue by cranking a stereo and putting the mics right by a speaker -- this should help you confirm you have levels and (if your stereo isn't clipping/distorting) give you SOME confidence about walking out with a recording. 

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 12:01:46 AM »
So the bottom line is - whenever one uses CA-11 microphones at a very LOUD or very SOFT (acoustic) show ALWAYS use a battery box?

Really, I'd always use a battery box for all occasions. At a quieter show you might want to go CA11 > battery box > Mic In, but even then you're going to get better performance with 9v of power. You might get lucky and get a good recording using plugin power in the volume and dynamic range are just right, but why chance it?

Offline tomy01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 01:42:58 PM »
Thanks for the help!

I did use the stereo method but did not "crank" it up loud.  So always plug battery box in the "line In" option?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 02:39:16 PM »
Thanks for the help!

I did use the stereo method but did not "crank" it up loud.  So always plug battery box in the "line In" option?

There is really no one solution here. You have to go out and try it. If it doesn't work you know not to do it again.

Generally for loud music you will almost always want to run line in. For quiet stuff you may find that you need to run mic in to get sufficient levels however you risk overloading the mic input if your source is too loud.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline tomy01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »
As far as the "Plug-in Power" - are my assumptions correct:

1) when using an external mic with NO battery box - I should use the "mic-in" slot on the PCM with the Plug-in Power" turned to ON.

2) when using an external mic WITH a battery box - I should use the "lin-in" slot on the PCM with the Plug-in Power turned to OFF.

Thanks

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 10:10:59 PM »

1) when using an external mic with NO battery box - I should use the "mic-in" slot on the PCM with the Plug-in Power" turned to ON.

2) when using an external mic WITH a battery box - I should use the "lin-in" slot on the PCM with the Plug-in Power turned to OFF.

Correct. Though also:

2a) when using an external mic WITH a battery box at a quieter show - you should use the "mic-in" slot on the PCM with the Plug-in Power turned to OFF

Easiest way to remember it: Plug-in power substitutes (poorly) for a battery box, so if you have a box, you don't need PIP.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »

Thanks

There is no PIP on LINE input only MIC input.You would always need a battery box or preamp to use LINE in.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com