Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trfr Issue - Pops  (Read 5470 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Trfr Issue - Pops
« on: May 10, 2003, 01:46:37 PM »
When I transfer tapes to my hard drive, I get pops in my transfer, not many, but a few through a 3 hour tape.  As a result, I listen to the tape and clear them up as I hear them, but I was wondering if maybe I had a cable issue, and was curious to peoples thoughts here.  My tranfer setup is

PCM R300->Hosa 3 ft SPDIF Cable->Audiophile 2496

I am curious as to peoples thoughts on the Hosa cable being the culprit.  I was considering upgrading the cable to a better cable (zaolla or the like) if I thought it would do away with the pops.

With this being said, I definitely realize the pops may just be part of the internal workings of the machine, but wanted to explore the cable option.

Thoughts?

Nick

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re:Trfr Issue - Pops
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 02:11:39 PM »
FWIW, I've used a Hosa cable for transfers quite a while now with no troubles.

Usually, the clicks/pops are a PC/soundcard config issue.  Not familiar with the Audiophile 2496, though, sorry.  I'm sure others can help out on the config side.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 09:37:54 PM »
Here are some suggestions which should help.  Make sure all programs are closed except the ones you are working with, although this usually is not the main culprit.  Second, if you have on board sound or any other variety of that cheap nonsense that comes with computers, turn it off, uninstall it etc.  For on-board, you will need to access the bios setup during start-up and disable the on-board sound.  If this doesn't fix it, my bet would be the graphics card.  Older graphics cards tend to use a lot of memory and resources are are generally the cause of these clips pops, just about every f up I have seen with sound cards.  Go into graphics accelleration which should be under the desktop:settings: advanced panel.  Turn them down a bit.  Also, make sure you have your buffers set correctly in whatever program you are using.  There are some decent sites out there for audio optimization, although I would say none of the services are really necessary for two track transfers.  They are more geared towards multi-track recording which is ram and cpu intensive.  Ho0pes this helps a bit.

Daryan

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 10:26:01 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will try those on the next transfer.  It is not an ongoing problem...more a random nuisance.  

Nick

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 01:56:44 AM »
nick- increase the DMA buffer as well...  that solves a TON of problems.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com