Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: THE professional way to power your Edirol R-44  (Read 8729 times)

Offline sonidista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
THE professional way to power your Edirol R-44
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
If you're tired of too quickly exhausted AAs or dysfunctional DVD batteries, try this:
http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=npa-90&mainMenuItemToSlide=5&asi=np-70&asi2=mr4
Cost me about 30 euros. I'm sure there is a US distributor for that somewhere. They also sell them on ebay.
This one has the right plug and polarity for the R-44 (I bought and tried it - no need for any soldering or buying radio shack parts).

Then get a NP 1 battery if you dont already have one (I got a new NiMH for less than 20 Euros) and a charger (got mine used on ebay for about 50 euros - NiCD usually also charge NiMH batteries good enough for audio applications, by the way. NP1s last for days on end, really, a DVD batt will never come close.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: THE professional way to power your Edirol R-44
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »
What is dysfunctional about the DVD Batteries?  They're a pretty tried and true power solution for a wide ranging number of devices around here.

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
I'm not sure you know what you are talking about.  The largest battery pack they sell is 4.8Ah(4800mAh).  The average dvd battery is 5400 mAh or 5.4Ah and some are 6000 mAh.   And after conversion the roughly $100 US dollars you can get LI-ion with a capacity of 9.8Ah which really will run the deck for days.  And at 14.4 volts I'd be concerned that you might be sending too much voltage into a deck that requires 12 volts.  But I don't know what the Edirol has for voltage ranges.   For $45 US you can get a Li-ion that provides multiple voltages 12/9/5  AND includes a charger on e-bay.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:03:11 PM by kirkd »

Offline duch

• Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »
Sure, but it's less PROFESSIONAL you know ...

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:07:30 PM »
professional? Who cares just as long as it works

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:15:35 PM »
professional? Who cares just as long as it works
Professional = needed for paying job.

Otherwise, consumer or hacked gear is fine.

BTW, I went to the website and found no pricelist.

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
Sure, but it's less PROFESSIONAL you know ...
:-*
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:56:00 AM by kirkd »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:58 PM »
excerpt from a Gutbucket rant that's worth repeating here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139590.msg1806170#msg1806170

I'm just tired of marketing obscuring things of actual significance with meaningless or outright incorrect statements and inflated one-up-manship.
Can you store 1TB of information on a 1TB hard drive?
Does 192kHz audio offer more resolution in the 20Hz - 22kHz region than 96 or 48kHz?
Can that inexpensive 1000W car amp supply more current at the same distortion levels as this old well-built 200W one?
The answert to each is NO, but markers would have us believe those things are true.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline duch

• Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 11:18:19 PM »
kirk > it might not be obvious but my message was ironical ...

I thought the first message sounded a bit like "hey pussies, this is THE professional way to power your rig, forget everything else".
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:23:40 PM by duch »

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »
kirk > it might not be obvious but my message was ironical ...

Nope gotta say I missed that.    I was in a bit of a piss poor mood too so, I'll just delete that and move on.  some stuff just gets under my skin on some days.  I agree it is the misinformation and stuff based on opinions presented as facts that can get to me. 

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »
hey guys, relax. It's all okay. I really didn't mean to insult you. And "pussies", by the way, is not a very nice word, I would never use that. This post was intended to offer another powering option that in my book is simpler and requires less hassle than the other ones mentioned.
Maybe "professional" wasn't the right choice of words here, what I was trying to say is you buy this little thing and put a battery in it and it works, whereas with the DVD types first you have to find the right plug, solder it, hope your DVD battery doesn't give up (let's be honest. most of these are cheap and not very reliably built).
And I'm quiet positive that no DVD (=consumer) battery can ever compete with a respective NP 1 (=professional, i.e. intended for professional use), as some might know there are also Li-Ion NP 1s.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 08:59:01 AM »
I don't find DVD batteries to be that difficult and mine have been very reliable. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »
I don't find DVD batteries to be that difficult and mine have been very reliable.

It is all I can do to not post a really derogatory reply. 
It is amazing how  companies can get people to buy into the hype of a product regardless of what the actually specs are or what common sense should be telling you. 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 06:14:51 PM by kirkd »

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 05:30:04 AM »

It is amazing how  companies can get people to buy into the hype of a product regardless of what the actually specs are or what common sense should be telling you.

FWIW, I think you probably meant to quote the prior response.

kirk97132

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »
Yeah your right, MR. Bell is correct.  I do agree that the dvd battery is as good if not better specs than the the setup cited by the OP.  And with a LI-ion battery that fits the BP=1 set up costing over $170 for a 4800mAh battery I don't see it being able to out perform even the RB-270 battery. 

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »
I've used DVD batteries with an R-44, DR-680, and UA-5 and never had a problem*--even when I forgot to charge them up--I pack two, and there always seems to be plenty of juice. Also, one of mine is pretty old, but still holds a good charge. I think I paid $12 each. Big fan here!

*knock on wood
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »

Well aren't you a nice little fella for not being derogatory.
Anyway, maybe you're right about the performance of the DVD batts, and let's ignore what others wrote in this very forum about not properly working RB-270s. I personally own both an RB-270 and NP1 and the RB-270, though fully functional, doesn't last a for a working day with my R-44, while the NP1 (at only 4 Ah) lasts longer. Manufacturers like to write big numbers on batteries, but more often than not they're not too realistic.
Never mind. The last thing I'll say to this is that here in Europe the DVD batteries are way more expensive than in the US (cheapest one I saw was 50 Euros), so here NP1s are really a good option for powering the R-44 or other recorders.

That's basically what I wanted to say when I started this thread. If I unintendedly hurt your, kirkd, feelings, or those of other users, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0bE6ZESFPI
:)

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 04:49:58 PM »

hat's basically what I wanted to say when I started this thread. If I unintendedly hurt your, kirkd, feelings, or those of other users, check this out:

I think nobody's feelings were hurt.  It's just that, frankly you're making claims about DVD batteries that not many people agree with so people are calling you out on that.  If you'd just posted saying that this battery that you like is a great alternative to DVD batteries, I doubt anybody would taken exception and/or debated you at all.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:52:11 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline dain45yl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 04:07:32 AM »
Nope gotta say I missed that.    I was in a bit of a piss poor mood too so, I'll just delete that and move on.  some stuff just gets under my skin on some days.  I agree it is the misinformation and stuff based on opinions presented as facts that can get to me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com