Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mounting cardiods to ears?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mounting cardiods to ears?
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:37:02 AM »
So for recording live theatre, I've always mounted my omni microphones to the top of my ears. I'm going to record some shows for the first time with cardioid caps soon, and I was wondering if this technique would be suitable for them as well? The ear mounting works great for binaural recordings....but will it give me good stereo separation with cardioids? Thanks.

Offline shaggy28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Mounting cardiods to ears?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 02:42:15 AM »
does that not hurt ? I would assume it would work just as well, maybe even better if they're padded.

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 02:46:59 AM »
Doesn't hurt at all. I just wrap the wire around my ear once and then bring the mic under the loop to make a "knot". Mic sticks out forward and stays in place nicely.

What do you mean by padded?

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 04:32:11 AM »
I use cardiods on croakies and they are on my ears. Been happy so far with live music. Go for it.

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Generally speaking (ie not talking specifically about stealth), you need to be more precise placing cards compared to omnis.

For best results, try to imitate one of the standardized configurations (DIN, ORTF etc), or just point them towards the stacks.
Also, using cards, they don't benefit as much from your head (or any other opaque body) being in between the mics, as a binaural set would do.
If they just stick out perpendicular on the sides, the pickup pattern will emphasize crowd chatter instead of music... But I guess you already know that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:11:36 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »
Generally speaking (ie not talking specifically about steath), you need to be more precise placing cards compared to omnis.

For best results, try to imitate one of the standardized configurations (DIN, ORTF etc), or just point them towards the stacks.
Also, using cards, they don't benefit as much from your head (or any other opaque body) being in between the mics, as a binaural set would do.
If they just stick out perpendicular on the sides, the pickup pattern will emphasize crowd chatter instead of music... But I guess you already know that.

I disagree I have often placed cards on ether side of my head for very good stereo separation.
Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 03:12:10 PM »
Generally speaking (ie not talking specifically about steath), you need to be more precise placing cards compared to omnis.

I disagree I have often placed cards on ether side of my head for very good stereo separation.
Chris

Exactly!  And it looks geeky too...

The main thing IMO is to keep the mics a bit away from your head (however you like to mount them) so that they still get air around them and maintain their directionality.  I've made some very nice recordings this way, using your mics (Chris), Sennheiser MKE40, and AT853 subcards.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »

Chris

Exactly!  And it looks geeky too...

The main thing IMO is to keep the mics a bit away from your head (however you like to mount them) so that they still get air around them and maintain their directionality.  I've made some very nice recordings this way, using your mics (Chris), Sennheiser MKE40, and AT853 subcards.

Richard

You dont need to make space around your head if you dont want to. The Shure SM91 and other mics made by Crown that are phase coherent cardioid's all use a boundary with no ill effect to frequency response. The pattern is altered somewhat but the resulting sound is amazing with amazing stereo separation that plays back nicely on speakers.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 05:15:57 AM »
You dont need to make space around your head if you dont want to. The Shure SM91 and other mics made by Crown that are phase coherent cardioid's all use a boundary with no ill effect to frequency response.

Interesting conversation!
Are you certain about the model number? They might sound good, but I have a hard time imagining these mounted to my ears:  ???

Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »
You dont need to make space around your head if you dont want to. The Shure SM91 and other mics made by Crown that are phase coherent cardioid's all use a boundary with no ill effect to frequency response.

Are you certain about the model number? They might sound good, but I have a hard time imagining these mounted to my ears:  ???

LOL I was only talking about the specific application of the use of a boundary on a cardioid mic :) Not that you should strap these to your head. Although that would be funny...

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »

Princess Leah could pull it off!

LOL I was only talking about the specific application of the use of a boundary on a cardioid mic :) Not that you should strap these to your head. Although that would be funny...
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com