Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Double size cd headunits  (Read 3718 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Double size cd headunits
« on: January 05, 2004, 06:38:31 PM »
I have a 93 Accord SE.  It came with a Bose head unit and Bose speakers.  Never wanted to change because the speakers sounsd good, but this Discman through the tape deck is killing me.  The head unit is bigger than normal.  Anything good in that form factor, or should I get a regular size unit?

-Kevin

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
Re:Double size cd headunits
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 12:32:00 AM »
I think Pioneer makes a double-DIN head unit that will fit that opening.  If you're just looking to add CD playback, you could go to a junkyard or surplus parts place and swipe the head unit out of any 93+ honda or acura that looks like it will fit that opening.  They all use the same connections.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 07:56:17 AM »
You don't need to buy a double-sized head unit if you don't want to.  A normal sized one will do just fine, you'll just have to purchase a mounting kit designed for your car.  These can be had at any car stereo installation store (circuit city, best buy) and are < 15 bucks.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 04:31:45 AM »
You don't need to buy a double-sized head unit if you don't want to.  A normal sized one will do just fine, you'll just have to purchase a mounting kit designed for your car.  These can be had at any car stereo installation store (circuit city, best buy) and are < 15 bucks.

yeah, but IMHO they look a little out of place...

<--- still sporting the stock Toyota double-DIN
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 09:50:28 AM »
You could also go the cool route of getting both a CD player and an Graphic EQ, putting them both in the double din slot for a very slick and feature filled car audio system ;D

Something like this:

And then a matching deck, would be quite sweet ;D
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 10:09:12 AM »
You could also go the cool route of getting both a CD player and an Graphic EQ, putting them both in the double din slot for a very slick and feature filled car audio system ;D

Yeah, that's what I did.  Tore out the stock CD player and tape deck which took up two slots and installed a CD player in one slot and an Alpine DSP / equalizer in the other.  

Looks sharp and while the DSP is just a gimmick, the equalizer works miracles on live recordings.  Key is to know how to use the EQ properly.  Too many people jack the levels up or down to look like a smiley face.  Just a one or two db shift is all that is needed most of the time.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 10:24:52 AM »

yeah, but IMHO they look a little out of place...

<--- still sporting the stock Toyota double-DIN

Well the one I got in my WRX has a holder for 3 cds below the head unit.  If you get something like that I don't think it looks out of place at all, but that's just my opinion.  

I like the idea of the graphic equalizer, but do those things have removable faceplates like a head unit?  I would be real scared about having that stolen.

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline jlykos

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 10:35:30 AM »
I like the idea of the graphic equalizer, but do those things have removable faceplates like a head unit?  I would be real scared about having that stolen.

Some do, some don't.  Mine does, but after getting it all scratched up by constantly removing it, I just leave it attached.  It looks like a blank space with a ton of buttons when it is off.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 11:57:54 AM »

Yeah, that's what I did.  Tore out the stock CD player and tape deck which took up two slots and installed a CD player in one slot and an Alpine DSP / equalizer in the other.  

Looks sharp and while the DSP is just a gimmick, the equalizer works miracles on live recordings.  Key is to know how to use the EQ properly.  Too many people jack the levels up or down to look like a smiley face.  Just a one or two db shift is all that is needed most of the time.

or, the proverbial frowning face :(

we all live downstream.

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2004, 01:43:52 PM »
Hmmm the EQ is a good idea.  How much those run?

-Kevin

Offline jlykos

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2004, 01:55:46 PM »
Hmmm the EQ is a good idea.  How much those run?

-Kevin

Depends what you want.  From $200 for a basic model to $500+ for one with all the bells and whistles.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com