Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question about stealthing with shotguns  (Read 2714 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Question about stealthing with shotguns
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Can someone tell me if this is a good idea?

I record a lot of musical theatre, and sometimes when I have to sit in the balcony the recordings are just airy and muddy sounding. Would my results be improved by using shotgun caps? Since I'm stealthing, I won't be able to really aim them that well. I would prolly put them on eyeglasses (at943's). I know they're extremely directional, but for far away recording would it really matter if they were pointed directly at the speakers?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:12:55 PM by (Evan) »

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
Re: Question about stealthing with shotguns
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »
How long are the shotgun caps?  5"?  I guess it could be done but hard to imagine those hanging off of your glasses.  Not to shoot down the idea, just never really thought of shotguns for stealthing purposes. 
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »
Well they wouldn't be hanging off...i'd have them extending to the back of the glasses, with the front just barely poking out.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:41:25 PM »
You want to point the guns at the stacks and this would be real tricky to pull off stxxlth.  Nothing is impossible, but you'd have to be very creative.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 08:44:27 PM »
So I'd be better off with cardioids?

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »
Oh...sorry!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
Shotgun microphones aren't very useful when you're all the way into the reverberant sound field. At that distance the angles at which sound reaches the microphone are close to random due to all the different reflection pathways that occur, so the great majority of sound energy reaches the microphones from off axis.

Shotgun microphones have poor high-frequency response off-axis since that's essentially what their design is all about! The interference tube is designed to cancel as much off-axis high-frequency sound energy as possible, so that the high-frequency pickup will feature the direct sound as much as possible.

Using them beyond a certain critical distance (where the direct sound is swamped by reverberant sound) isn't what they're for, and they don't reward that type of use. A pair of good, small supercardioids will generally make much better sounding recordings from far away than shotgun microphones will. Even cardioids are preferable to shotguns when you're forced to record at a great distance. A diffuse-field-equalized omni is preferable to a shotgun for this application, for that matter.

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:36:28 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 08:34:33 AM »
Shotgun microphones aren't very useful when you're all the way into the reverberant sound field. At that distance the angles at which sound reaches the microphone are close to random due to all the different reflection pathways that occur, so the great majority of sound energy reaches the microphones from off axis.

Shotgun microphones have poor high-frequency response off-axis since that's essentially what their design is all about! The interference tube is designed to cancel as much off-axis high-frequency sound energy as possible, so that the high-frequency pickup will feature the direct sound as much as possible.

Using them beyond a certain critical distance (where the direct sound is swamped by reverberant sound) isn't what they're for, and they don't reward that type of use. A pair of good, small supercardioids will generally make much better sounding recordings from far away than shotgun microphones will. Even cardioids are preferable to shotguns when you're forced to record at a great distance. A diffuse-field-equalized omni is far preferable to a shotgun for this application, for that matter.

--best regards

Again another great post with accurate information.

Thank you.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 02:50:37 PM »
Yeah...thanks a lot for the info!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com