Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are my AT943's messed up?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Are my AT943's messed up?
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »
Ok I have a problem (I think). My AT943's seem to put out a lot of noise when compared to other microphones. I thought maybe I was imagining things at first, but today I got to test them against the Church CA-14's.

The CA-14's seem to have a lot less noise, while at the same time recording higher volume (dunno the term for this) than the 943's when using the same recording level.

I've uploaded a clip of these two mics side by side. This is HARDLY scientific. I held both mics in my hand for a few seconds to record in a regular room.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C7RW9SZP

The first mic is the CA-14, then at 12 seconds it switches to the 943's using the 853 Cardioid caps. Both were recorded on the PCM-D50 at recording level 6. I amplified the file in Adobe Audition.

Is there something wrong with the AT's, or is this just how they sound?

Thanks.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Are my AT943's messed up?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »
ok. I'm a dumbass. how do i download that? :P

i think i got it

That's they way they sound when you turn the gain up a lot. Or at least that's the way mine have always sounded. Which is why i got new mics. Still good mics for recording loud stuff.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:51:20 PM by setboy »

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Are my AT943's messed up?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:31:55 AM »
Well it's good to know it's not just my mics. The noise isn't really an issue when recording loud music I guess...but still I wish it wasn't there.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com