Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just aquired four AT853s...how to get them modded?  (Read 5874 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Just aquired four AT853s...how to get them modded?
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »
I just got four free AT853 microphones that were used in a theatre to record choruses. They are all the older model purchased directly from AT, like this one here:

I want to get one pair modded to a 1/8" plug...does anyone know who I could get to do that for me?

I want to use the other pair with a 3 wire battery box or preamp...will I need to get them modded for that or are they good to go?

Thanks

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Just aquired four AT853s...how to get them modded?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 06:19:14 PM »
PM Chris Church.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:05:33 AM »
lucky bastard :)
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »
Get an adapter cable with the 4.7k mod built in.  That way you can go barrel phantom adapter if you want or you can use the adaptor cable with recorders that use 1/8" input with Plug-In power.  You are good to go for a 3 wire box as long at is is built with the mini-XLR inputs.   

Then you can sell the other set of mics and the 4 adaptors you have now to cover the cost of having the first pair modded and a cable built. 

P.S.
What caps did they come with?  I would assume Cardioid.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:18:23 AM by rsimms3 »
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
Well I mainly record musical theatre...so I think the 4.7k mod might be a bit excessive for me. The sound never really gets too loud in those shows. Wouldn't I have to set my recorder level much higher, therefore increasing noise? Or am I wrong?

And yeah they all came with Cardioid capsules.

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »
From what I'm told, the mod lowers the gain, but not the noise floor in relation to the gain. So, if you end up having to to boost it, you'll end up with more noise, problematic for recording like that.

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:13:22 PM »
Yeahh that's why I wanted to keep two sets. One with the unmodded 1/8" connector, and one with the mini xlrs in case I need to record something really loud.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
From what I'm told, the mod lowers the gain, but not the noise floor in relation to the gain. So, if you end up having to to boost it, you'll end up with more noise, problematic for recording like that.

That's my understanding too. Nameloc, let me ask you a question if you don't mind. Based on the low output X same noise floor, the modded 853s are not exactly all around mics, right? I mean, if you are to tape a soft, quiet music show with them, either you use a preamp or you'll have to crank your recorder, which is not good. Am I right?
How do you use yours? 3 wire bb? Do you know where can I get a 3 wire bb? I don't have a 853 pair, but you never know.

Thanks in advance  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

nameloc01

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 04:31:51 PM »
Well,if you're doing soft music,you'll probably be using a pre (ideally) so obviously the noise should be kept to a minimum. When I run stealth I do 853>Nadys/PS2(1/8" line out mod)>HIMD...but lately I've been doing a lot of "open" shows so I've been doing 853>8532s>AD-20>optical in/HIMD. Both ways are ultra quiet for soft stuff and both can handle high SPLs. There are several people here who can build you a box...probably could have Chris Church build you one.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 04:55:39 PM »
Well,if you're doing soft music,you'll probably be using a pre (ideally) so obviously the noise should be kept to a minimum. When I run stealth I do 853>Nadys/PS2(1/8" line out mod)>HIMD...but lately I've been doing a lot of "open" shows so I've been doing 853>8532s>AD-20>optical in/HIMD. Both ways are ultra quiet for soft stuff and both can handle high SPLs. There are several people here who can build you a box...probably could have Chris Church build you one.

Or I can use a higher output mic if I am to tape more quiet music without a preamp, correct? That's why I was asking about using only one pair of mics no matter the SPL. I've been doing that with my HLSC-1. Yes, some folks around here always mention distortion episodes using them. Not me. I'm asking just in case. Maybe I can get a 853 pair.
One more question ( it's the last one). If I decide to use them with a 3 wire bb, is there any gain/output decrease or reduction in the mic original specs?

Thanks in advance  ;)

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

nameloc01

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 05:43:22 PM »
I don't think AT spec'd their 3 wire mics running off of a 2 wire box. I do believe on the factory spec sheet provides info on the mics ran from their power modules and phantom.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
I don't think AT spec'd their 3 wire mics running off of a 2 wire box. I do believe on the factory spec sheet provides info on the mics ran from their power modules and phantom.

Sure. But I'm not asking about running off those mics of a 2 wire box. I'm asking about a 3 wire box.
Thanks anyway  :coolguy:

nameloc01

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
I guess I was getting at the specs,besides giving phantom specs give the specs for powering from their 3w power modules(boxes)..I've been looking for the AT sheet but I'm having trouble finding it.

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 10:59:08 AM »
Well I mainly record musical theatre...so I think the 4.7k mod might be a bit excessive for me. The sound never really gets too loud in those shows. Wouldn't I have to set my recorder level much higher, therefore increasing noise? Or am I wrong?

And yeah they all came with Cardioid capsules.

Then just make an adapter cable without the mod.  The mod only reduces the distortion/gain, but if it isn't going to be a concern, then you don't have to include it.  Since you mentioned recording musical theatre, I would recommend a pre to increase the volume with less noise.  Going mics > recorder on battery power will definately yield less than desireable results as mentioned by others.  You really don't need two sets of mics, just the right connector for the right job.  Have the mini-XLRs, to me, is really the way to go.  I would snap a picture of my Y cable with mod to give you an idea of size, but I just loaned out my rig.  I ran AT853 > Y Cable > AT battery box > iRiver once at a loud show and it turned out okay not having the mod in there, but sounds much better with the mod in the cable and eliminating the battery box for several reasons.   
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »
Thanks. I actually already have a SP pre that I use.

How exactly would I go about making an adapter cable? I'm not really experienced with things like that. Is there any place I could buy one?

Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com