Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My U853 caps are noisy...  (Read 2636 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
My U853 caps are noisy...
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:27:40 PM »
Hey everyone. I bought a pair of used U853 cardioid caps from here a while back, and I have a question. Compared to my set of the older AT853 caps, the output from the U853s is much noiser and there is a lot less sound output. Is this normal for these caps, or are mine messed up? I find it hard to imagine that both of the caps would have the same problem...but it's just strange how much less sound they put out compared to the older versions.

Evan

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
Re: My U853 caps are noisy...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:13:57 AM »
That is wierd, i'd check that the pin/tabs on the mics aren't bent in "too far".  See if you can stretch them out alittle bit and then screw down the new caps.  Never had this problem with mine, but that's seems like a reasonable solution.
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:52:52 PM »
Hey everyone. I bought a pair of used U853 cardioid caps from here a while back, and I have a question. Compared to my set of the older AT853 caps, the output from the U853s is much noiser and there is a lot less sound output. Is this normal for these caps, or are mine messed up? I find it hard to imagine that both of the caps would have the same problem...but it's just strange how much less sound they put out compared to the older versions.

Evan

sounds like some dirt on the connectors. I had this problem.  Chris at SP told me you can fix it with rubbing alcohol - but if you're worried about doing it yourself, he can take care of it for you for minimal hassle. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Didn't really fix anything. I would reallllyyy love if someone who has both caps could record something quiet with each set so I can hear if it's normal or just my caps.

Anyone?

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:46 PM »
I don't own both sets anymore, but "upgraded" to U853 cards, with maybe a month inbetween the use of the old style and the new, and noticed no difference in output or noise, or a vast improvement for that matter.  But they performed just as well as my old caps.  So I'm assuming you still have your old pair of caps and they perform well?  It sounds like there may be something wrong with the caps, if there is no loose connection, or corrosion, dirt ect. on the inside tabs of the cap.  Might be worth talking to Chris @ Soundpro's and having him take a look at them.  They are very reasonable people.
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com