Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

Easiest way to power an R-44?

(1/6) > >>

acidjack:
I may have an R-44 coming my way in the future, and I'm trying to figure out how to power it.  I'm pretty much useless when it comes to "making" things like cables, etc. so I am trying to figure out what I should get that's light and works.  I may from time to time carry the unit rather than have it on the floor, so lightness would be nice.

I see references to Tekkeon power units in other threads, but I don't know if, for instance, this thing is overkill: http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-MP3450-myPower-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B000S9JWJI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259768925&sr=8-3

I read through a few other posts, but some of the discussion went a bit over my head, sad to say...

bhadella:
Easiest way is to use AA batteries in the battery compartment on the bottom. 

The most cost effective was is to by a "DVD" battery online.  The go by tons of names but the "Initial 5400" is the most common.  You can get them dirt cheap on ebay.

Example:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Initial-Universal-Portable-DVD-battery-Brand-New-Inpack_W0QQitemZ250451484801QQcategoryZ79845QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63

This battery will come with a generic power cable and charger.  You will need to adapt the power cable to connect to the R44.  If the battery doesn't come with the correct size adapter, you will need to pick one up at Radio Shack.   The R44 takes Adaptaplug size M. 

acidjack:
Thanks - that is perfect (and a lot cheaper)!

--- Quote from: bhadella on December 02, 2009, 11:14:30 AM ---Easiest way is to use AA batteries in the battery compartment on the bottom. 

The most cost effective was is to by a "DVD" battery online.  The go by tons of names but the "Initial 5400" is the most common.  You can get them dirt cheap on ebay.

Example:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Initial-Universal-Portable-DVD-battery-Brand-New-Inpack_W0QQitemZ250451484801QQcategoryZ79845QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63

This battery will come with a generic power cable and charger.  You will need to adapt the power cable to connect to the R44.  If the battery doesn't come with the correct size adapter, you will need to pick one up at Radio Shack.   The R44 takes Adaptaplug size M.

--- End quote ---

SmokinJoe:
Seconded on the DVD player batter.  Another name is "RB-270".  Somewhere here there is a thread with a ton of different names.  Some DVD batteries are 7.5V, most are 9V, and you want 9V.

Generally, they come with a cable, and adapter tips.  The problem is that Edirol wires things up backwards with respect to the rest of the world (Edirol has positive on the outside), so you'll need to cut the cable in the middle, and solder it back together with red-black mixed.  R44, R4, and UA-5 all the same in this regard.

Or, if you don't solder, go to Radio Shack and get the "Adapt-a-plug" kit with a cable and a "B" tip and an "M" tip, for the overpriced amount of about $20. Plug one tip on (+) and the other tip on (-).  It doesn't matter which is plus and which is minus, just so long as they aren't both the same.

RossW:
Edirol may be "backwards," but they're hardly unique in this.  My R-44, Zoom H-4, and an old Sony Discman all use the same configuration for their 9V external power.  I'm sure there are others, but the bottom line is to confirm voltage and polarity before plugging in anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version