Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: This stand any good?  (Read 6909 times)

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
This stand any good?
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:26:18 PM »
I'm looking to buy a stand for DMB this summer, but I don't have a lot of cash. I found this on ebay and was wondering if anyone had experience with it.
Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110453185675&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If not, are there any good stands for around $50?

Thanks Guys!
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
Re: This stand any good?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »
looks ok
no experience
you might try posting an ISO in the yard sale

I have used a photoflex light stand in the section for the past 15 years or so- goes up to about 11' or so
for FOB I have a short 6.5' bogen/dynalite

Does DMB no allow stands? I thought that they didn't allow stands? but they did when I saw them back in 94 / 95 /96 haven't seen em since.

--Ian
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:46:07 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:29 PM »
Is the jump in terms of crowd noise helped alot by the 3 foot difference?

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:03:25 AM »

Nobody's answered your question directly.  Yes, that stand would definitely work.  IMHO, 10 feet is generally high enough to put the crowd to background with cardioids.  With omni's, maybe a little less so. 

The tip on that stand would require that you'd need to buy an adapter of some sort if you're gonna use the tip.  Many people that I know end up just getting a clamp though and using the clamp with the proper hardware at the top of the stand...the clamp of course just latches onto the top of the stand but the hardware on the clamp is what holds your mic hardware...mounts, T-bar, etc.

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 02:19:39 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused- the listing made it seem like there was an adapter already- the stand inherently had a 5/8" and an adapter for 1/4". Aren't standard mic mounts and such 5/8"? Sorry if its noobish. :-[

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 02:51:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused- the listing made it seem like there was an adapter already- the stand inherently had a 5/8" and an adapter for 1/4". Aren't standard mic mounts and such 5/8"? Sorry if its noobish. :-[

Don't apologize at all.  This is a very good and real question.  The listing IS a bit confusing, but I'm pretty sure that picture shows the same stand top that I've had on one of my stands.  This same tip is on the top of alot of light stands that I've seen.  What you have is one integrated tip, not a 5/8 with a separate 1/4 inch adapter.  Let me see if I can explain in words, which is kinda hard.  First off, most light stands DO NOT come with the standard 5/8 inch hardware that we use...you usually need to buy that separate.  IOW, light stands are made to be light stands, not taping stands.  The standard top for a light stand is 1\4 inch, where the standard tip for audio/microphone hardware is 5/8.  That said, there are some stands out there (but not many) that come standard with the hardware that we use...this one does NOT appear to be one of them...again let me explain what that stand has.

The tip is one solid piece of brass or bronze.  It is integral with the top of the stand and, the one on my stand was not removable...IOW it wasn't threaded into the top of the stand but permanently attached.  The bottom portion of that integral piece is a 5/8 inch diameter round stud.  This allows you to put attachments onto the top of this integrated bronze tip that mate up with the stud portion of the top adapter.  The top part of the adapter is a 1/4 inch threaded nipple.  That portion of course allows you to thread anything with female 1/4 inch diameter.

To help with the visualization, here below is linked the adapter you'd need to attach to the top of that stand.  This adapter slides over the top of the whole thing, the hole in the adapter slides down over the whole thing and then the thumb screw on the adapter runs a set screw in and out.  The set screw engages and locks onto the 5/8 inch rounded portion of the bronze tip.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/271577-REG/Delta_21246_Rapid_Adapter_5_8_.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546490-REG/Manfrotto_014_38_014_38_Rapid_Adapter_.html

OK, the next problem is that this adapter is not made with the right tip hardware for connecting to audio hardware because the tip of the adapter has 3/8 threaded tip.  The problem is that these adapters aren't made with the 5/8 diameter top.  So, you need the following adapter to make it all work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400109-REG/On_Stage_MA_200_MA200_Screw_Adapter.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/232827-REG/K_M_21500_000_01_Reducer_Bushing.html

OK, you ask...wouldn't it be easier simply to buy a 1/4 to 5/8 adapter and buy only one part instead of two.  You could do that and buy one of these...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/232827-REG/K_M_21500_000_01_Reducer_Bushing.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/535392-REG/General_Brand__Microphone_Reducer_Bushing_.html

The problem with that plan is that the top of the stand you're looking at is brass or bronze.  Either way, that 1/4 inch tip is really easy to break off.  Trust me, your mic stand needs to be able to take a beating as you haul it around here and there, and that 1/4 inch stud will end up breaking off eventually.  With the top set of hardware, you're safe because that is made with case hardened steel...very hard and is virtually indestructable.  With the bottom adapter, the first time you knock that bronze tip against something, it will break off and you're basically gonna end up needing the hardware that I pointed you to at the beginning anyway at that point.

PS:  Don't be discouraged from buying this stand.  This issue of adapting the top of stand with the proper hardware is one that virtually 100% of us has to deal with...it's just that this question about what hardware you need is a lot less than obvious.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:08:37 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »
Wow thank you for the response :). Very helpful. So I already have the 3/8" to 5/8" adapter that has come with my mics so that aside, would you recommend going the adapter route or going the clamp route? How much would I be looking at for a decent clamp?

Also, was looking at some more stands. http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Aluminum-Air-Cushioned-Lightstand-Section/dp/B000CC7I8I/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1268707529&sr=1-31

Anyone have an experience with Savage stands?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:31:47 PM by 12milluz »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »
the important thing to know about stands that are cheap in price mean they are real light. That's a good thing when you have to carry it but if you've got your mics on it and a fairly strong wind comes along, the entire stand can blow down on to people. the way to prevent this is to get those velcro ankle weights people use usually when walking but put it at the bottom of the stand. I have a few and I got them for a couple dollars each at a good will or second hand store. Other people will use rope and tent stakes but then I imagine you have to make sure no one trips on the rope.

Most people on this board get things likely to last a long time and able to put up with a lot of abuse. Even though this stand is only $30, it may work well. With that said, I won't be the guy that says get the $100 stand (like this one http://tinyurl.com/yaz3xy6) because you may not have that kind of money right away and it could mean you miss a show to record.  Have you looked in yard sale or but up an ISO request?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
I have ankle weights I use for my home recording mic stand so I'm good there! I'll give a shot asking in the yard sale. Thanks.

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »
Wow thank you for the response :). Very helpful. So I already have the 3/8" to 5/8" adapter that has come with my mics so that aside, would you recommend going the adapter route or going the clamp route? How much would I be looking at for a decent clamp?

Also, was looking at some more stands. http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Aluminum-Air-Cushioned-Lightstand-Section/dp/B000CC7I8I/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1268707529&sr=1-31

Anyone have an experience with Savage stands?

Personally, I like using a clamp because the top of my stands seem to get boogered up pretty easy, and with the clamp method the function of the stand is simply to provide a mast to latch onto.  So if the stand stays in the trunk or falls over when folded up or gets kicked around, then you're not in a critical situation if the top of the stand gets messed up.  The clamp that most tapers agree is one of the best to have in your bag for stand clamping is this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298908-REG/WindTech_MPC_10_Multi_Position_C_Type_Clamp.html

Two things to notice.  First is that it has a 5/8 inch thread, so that's all you'd need...no adapter hardware in order to get to 5/8.  The second thing is that the threaded part is attached to a stud of sorts that can be removed.  So that allows you to position the threaded part either straight on like shown in the picture or at a 90 degree angle from the clamp.  After the show is over, I take the clamp off the stand and put it in my bag...safe and sound.  Obviously, it's impervious to bumps and whatever damage may otherwise happen to the hardware on top your stand.  Course, you could remove the adapters at the top of the stand too, but I never did.

Finally, for outdoor festivals, I'm not a fan of ankle weights.  I think the better alternative is to simply wrap some duct tape around the end of each leg, leaving a sorta ear of duct tape.  Then pound some metal tent stakes through the duct tape ear so that it holds each leg down on the ground nice and firmly.  Or get some tent stakes that have a hook on the end and pound them directly into the ground so the hook latches directly onto the stand supports or legs.   I've seen some people make up something more formal and nice looking than duct tape...maybe something with grommet holes that is studded onto the legs of the stand...but I just like the flexibility of duct tape and the fact that it doesn't matter if I have to apply a little more to add strength.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:20:58 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 07:51:08 PM »
Great, thanks for the link. At this show, I can't use stakes as I'll be on cement but I'll keep your method in the back of my mind for future reference.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 08:43:43 PM »
imo yes
i have been directly next to tapers at dmb shows with mine at 12-13 ft and theirs at 15 you can tell a difference in crowd noise
a difference to pay a lot more no but a 10' vs 13 for the same basic price i would go 13
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
imo yes
i have been directly next to tapers at dmb shows with mine at 12-13 ft and theirs at 15 you can tell a difference in crowd noise
a difference to pay a lot more no but a 10' vs 13 for the same basic price i would go 13

Are you sure the only difference was the stand height?  If one guy's running cards and the other is running hypers, that will make a large difference too.  Having said that, I'd say that having a stand that goes 12 or 13 feet is nice.  You can always go lower with the extra reach, but can't go higher with a shorter stand.  IMO, it's not necessary to spend top dollar for a stand with any bells and whistles, but paying a little bit extra for the extra reach is probably money well spent.

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »
Do you think that strength is an issue with any of the stands I've posted? I'm running 2 small diaphragm condensers so nothing heavy, but I'm just worried things will wobble too much, especially if it is windy.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com