Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Near-coincident pair - do you need open space between the mics?  (Read 2749 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Near-coincident pair - do you need open space between the mics?
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
So I'm going to be in a recording situation where I'm recording using a near-coincident cardioid pair, but they are going to be separated by my head. There's no way around this, so I was wondering if this would throw off the stereo imaging? Thanks
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:17:36 PM by (Evan) »

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Near-coincident pair - do you need open space between the mics?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:14:27 PM »
Generally speaking if they are tucked inside your ear canal, such that the natural reflections from you ear lobe come into play, that's a binaural recording, and it's been said many times that recordings like that sound great with headphones but not great on a big stereo.  I've never actually tried it, I'm just spouting urban legend.  I would say that is the extreme example of no open space.

I have some DSM-6 omni mics which hang off my glasses.  I've run them back by my ears, and I've run them forward a bit more, about even with my eyes.  I think they sound better when I move them forward near my eyes.  It sounds a little more open, and a little less muffled.  I suppose that would be the example of "a little open space".
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »
Yeah I've made a lot of binaural recordings, but this time I'll be using cardioids at a 110 degree angle. As far as I know that wouldn't be considered a binaural recording.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:40:47 PM »
I'd think you'd still get a good stereo image.  The fact that your head is in the middle may cause the center instruments to be a little less prominent than they would be without your head, but I bet your head wouldn't make a huge difference.

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:56:42 PM »
Yeah I've made a lot of binaural recordings, but this time I'll be using cardioids at a 110 degree angle. As far as I know that wouldn't be considered a binaural recording.
This is correct as a true binaural recording using omnidirectional microphones. Still, as others have mentioned, I don't think you will have a problem doing what you want.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com