Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oktava stock MK-012's vs modded for live recording?  (Read 6420 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Oktava stock MK-012's vs modded for live recording?
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
Does anyone have opinions on how the stock Oktava MK-012's sound on live recordings compared to the ones modded by OktavaMod? All the comparison clips I've heard have been from close miking instruments, not live recordings. Thanks!

Offline Dkrogh

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • When is my next upgrade?
Re: Oktava stock MK-012's vs modded for live recording?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:40:11 AM »
I modded my Oktava's myself with all the parts from the article talking about how to mod them. 

I didn't think they sounded any different, at least to my ears, but I was also a newb when it came to recording and really wasn't in the best of locations when I was taping, i.e. in front of a sub stack with no rolloff or alot of control over levels which caused alot of high SPL's and distortion.  I subsequently unmodded them and went back to just the stock parts.  I then became better at taping and moved on to AKG's.

I'll try and go through my old recordings from around the 2006-2007 years to see if I can find something decent to put up for you to give a listen too and then one from a non modded source (will be different locations/venues though).

As a disclaimer, I had mk012's and not the older mc012's and hyper caps purchased new from oktava u.s.a.
AKG ck63 > AKG c480b > Marantz PMD670

Offline Dkrogh

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • When is my next upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 12:51:16 AM »
I modded my Oktava's myself with all the parts from the article talking about how to mod them. 

I didn't think they sounded any different, at least to my ears, but I was also a newb when it came to recording and really wasn't in the best of locations when I was taping, i.e. in front of a sub stack with no rolloff or alot of control over levels which caused alot of high SPL's and distortion.  I subsequently unmodded them and went back to just the stock parts.  I then became better at taping and moved on to AKG's.

I'll try and go through my old recordings from around the 2006-2007 years to see if I can find something decent to put up for you to give a listen too and then one from a non modded source (will be different locations/venues though).  Hopefully I had backed them up on my external, my laptop HD died about a month ago so I may have lost them.

As a disclaimer, I had mk012's and not the older mc012's and hyper caps purchased new from oktava u.s.a.
AKG ck63 > AKG c480b > Marantz PMD670

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »
Thanks. What's the difference between the Busman Mod and the mod done by OktavaMod?

Offline ttrego2003

• Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »
"Modification of electronics of Oktava mc-012 body. Changes made to resistors and capacitors of mics to give more detail and lower noise", thats what was on my receipt from him.

Todd

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 06:02:21 PM »
I wonder if it's the same mod then?

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
FWIW, the guy at OktavaUSA.com told me that the mod is only needed on the older mics. The newer mics he said didn't need it.

I bought a used a pair with the mod already done and I think they sound phenomonal for the price.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:06 PM »
Mine are definitely older.

I'm really curious about the differences (if any) in the mods offered by various people.

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:39:16 AM »
Bill Sitler has been doing mods on these mics for a while. Here is his take.

Brand new 012 mics benefit just as much as older ones.
On searching the Internet I find a significant amount of confusion on this topic.   Many speculate that brand new 012’s have all the improvements already incorporated, so the modification will have no effect on performance.  This is simply not true. Here are the facts, based on years of experience working with these microphones. New mics have two basic changes in addition to serial numbers. (1) New mics are slightly longer to accommodate a new style XLR base. (2)  Oktava no longer uses any wet-slug capacitors in the 012.  Old mics typically used wet-slug caps for C3, C4, and C5, and sometimes even C2. These wet-slug caps are prone to leakage and can even damage the circuit board. Most new mics use BBC caps, like the ones in the kit, for C3, C4, and C5. But beware; even brand new mics can use different brands of lower quality and various values. The majority of the sound improvement comes from the changes on the front of the board, where Oktava has made no improvements. In fact I see more variation of factory parts than on older mics. So YES, the sound improvement from modification is just as evident on new mics as older ones!

The modification is only for true Russian made Oktava's.   True  Russian Oktava  012's  came with the 10db pad and the metal mic clip and can be labeled MC or MK 012. Only newer ones (2002) have serial numbers. Click HERE for more info on fake Oktava 012's.

Good soldering skills are required to perform the modification. The Circuit board is small and delicate and can be easily damaged.  If you do not feel comfortable doing the modification yourself, you should send your mic(s) in for modification.

A difference you can Hear!

"Greetings from Australia.Thought i'd drop you a line and confirm the 012 mod is a must for all 012's .It's cheeze & chalk difference!! .Amazing clarity compared to the original .I will not be parting with these mic's ever.Even the tech who did the mod was amazed!!In fact i might buy 2 more Oktava 012's and respective mod kits regards Robert b Dillon Aria Award winning Recording Engineer:Blues&Roots. Melbourne Australia"

Robert B. Dillon

"One thing is for certain, these little mics sound great now and are far more useful. In some cases, I might even go to them instead of my KM184s."
Joseph Bregande

The kit contains the following parts, individually packaged and labeled:

The kit includes all parts required for standard modification of the Oktava MC012 or MK012.

R1 - 1G Thick Film Resistor
R2 - 1G Thick Film Resistor
C1 - COG ceramic capacitor
C2 - Tantalum capacitor (optional C2 Film by-pass capacitor now also included!)

C3 - electrolytic capacitor
C4 - electrolytic capacitor
C5 - electrolytic capacitor
Q1 - Toshiba Audio FET
Q2 - Toshiba transistor (no longer using the Fairchild 2n5087, see notice below)
Complete Instructions

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »
Very interesting information, thanks!

So only the mics made past 2002 have serials. I guess that means mine aren't as old as I thought because they definitely have serial numbers.

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »
FWIW. If you are considering getting the mod done you might want to consider selling your oktava's and going with AT853 or at953's.

The oktava's are really meant for studio recording, they have a really hard time handling bass. For that pricepoint you would get better sounding recordings with the at's.

If you have an extra 100 or so, maybe even hold out for a used pair of akg 390's.
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:12 AM »
I actually already have 853s as well...but I was told on this very forum by several people that the Oktavas would be capable of producing better recordings. Now you say the 853s are better.  :-\

I also pretty much only record musical theatre, so I'm never in super loud bassy situations.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:14:20 AM by (Evan) »

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »
its a personal preference, but if musical theatre is all you record either will be fine for this situation.

sorry about that, I just assumed it was for concert situations with a full band
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com