Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Matrix" Two R-09HR Recordings?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Tapehead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
"Matrix" Two R-09HR Recordings?
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
I want to combine two recordings, from two R-09HR's - one placed close to a singing choir, and the other back a ways and pointing up, to get the hall's natural acoustics, so I can decide later how much room sound to mix in. The venues are nice halls and churches, so I don't want to use some yucky reverb effect. They are recording sessions, not concerts, so I can clap or something before the start of each song, and afterwards the two waveforms could hopefully be aligned on an editing screen. Is sync-drift a problem over the course of a five-minute song, or doesn't this matter? It will be a whirlwind trip and I don't want to buy a 4-track recorder and run cables all over the place. Has anyone done this?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: "Matrix" Two R-09HR Recordings?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »
Yes, sync drift will be an issue.  How big of one, you'll find out when you try to sync two sources. Check the Computer forum's sticky post for threads on how to mix two or more sources in post.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tapehead

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:34:57 PM »
Thanks, Brian, I'll have a look.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »
For a single 5 minute song the drift will probably be so small you might not even notice it.  When you get into loner recordings, even when using the same type of device for both, you'll see noticeable drift.  Anytime you're using digital devices any drift should be constant though and easily adjusted.

Offline Tapehead

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
Good to hear, Stan.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »
It's possible that since you have 2 of the same recorders, there may not be enough drift to cause a problem. Like Brian said, you will find out when you try to line them up. Like a lot of things, it is a pain the first couple of times, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

cintana1

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 06:53:12 AM »
I want to combine two recordings, from two R-09HR's - one placed close to a singing choir, and the other back a ways and pointing up, to get the hall's natural acoustics, so I can decide later how much room sound to mix in. The venues are nice halls and churches, so I don't want to use some yucky reverb effect. They are recording sessions, not concerts, so I can clap or something before the start of each song, and afterwards the two waveforms could hopefully be aligned on an editing screen. Is sync-drift a problem over the course of a five-minute song, or doesn't this matter? It will be a whirlwind trip and I don't want to buy a 4-track recorder and run cables all over the place. Has anyone done this?

I have done this many times using 2 R-09s (first edition) and had no problem with sync drift.  YMMV.

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 08:48:43 AM »
I´ve made matrices from two different R09-HR and found them EXTREMELY close in clock frequency.
(They were off by less than 0.001 seconds after 90 min! which isn´t noticable at all!)

In general do like this:

Take both recordings and line them up in multitrack mode.  Allign the sources in the beginning at some point x (so they are alligned with a difference less than 0.001 of a second!). Measure the difference in the end of the recording (denote the location of a certain point in source 1 with y and the same point in the other source by z (measure these points as accurately as possible!).  Calculate the ratio  (y-x)/(z-x) and stretch source 2 by this factor, then re-allign the sources around point x again. DONE!   

BR,
N. 

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »
^^^ Sorry to take this off-topic, but, nicegrin, can you elaborate a little on the "Nevaton MCE400s (miniplug modded!)" in your signature line?  What was done and who did it and how are they working out???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com