Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps & Neumann active cables  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps & Neumann active cables
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »
I leave mine connected and gently coiled inside the hat. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »
Based on my personal experience, if I ever own actives again I'll detach for sure if my capsules are Nextel gray.  If they're nickel, I'd say it doesn't matter as much.

I made the mistake of leaving my brand new Nextel MK22's attached and, even as little bumping around as happens in storage, they chipped.  Not only that, but the MK22's have a very sensitive screen on the end that WILL 100% FOR SURE get dented if you don't detach (unless you keep a screen on them at all times).  This isn't a problem for the other caps, but chipping of the nextel finish is a real problem.

In the end, since I didn't detach, it ended up costing me AT LEAST $200 because they had enough chipping and end screen denting that's the hit I took on those capsules when I sold them.

I'll never own Nextel Grey again, but if I did, I'll absolutely never leave them attached again.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »
Based on my personal experience, if I ever own actives again I'll detach for sure if my capsules are Nextel gray.  If they're nickel, I'd say it doesn't matter as much.

I made the mistake of leaving my brand new Nextel MK22's attached and, even as little bumping around as happens in storage, they chipped.  Not only that, but the MK22's have a very sensitive screen on the end that WILL 100% FOR SURE get dented if you don't detach (unless you keep a screen on them at all times).  This isn't a problem for the other caps, but chipping of the nextel finish is a real problem.

In the end, since I didn't detach, it ended up costing me AT LEAST $200 because they had enough chipping and end screen denting that's the hit I took on those capsules when I sold them.

I'll never own Nextel Grey again, but if I did, I'll absolutely never leave them attached again.

I havent had ANY problems w/ my grey mk41 and its still in MINT condition. But they ALWAYS have screens on them :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 08:31:02 PM »
Yeah Bean.  I wouldn't go as far as to suggest that others shouldn't buy Nextel.  It's just that with my own negative experience, I choose nickel from here on out if I have a choice.  I think people should be aware that the Nextel finish will chip and it doesn't take much for it to happen.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »
To re-iterate what I said... I have no problems with the capsules.

It's attaching KC5's to the bodies that is sketchy.  In essence the body and cable meet and there is an outer ring which screws on the body, which is separate from the connectors.  I'm not saying it is easy to cross thread, just that (at least on the particular pieces I own) there is a certain amount of friction as the outer ring rotates on the cable end, so it's not really noticeable whether you are really engaged or not.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 01:38:14 PM »
Since the capsule to body interface does not have the issue, we can assume it is the kc5.  The body threads are probably fine.

I suspect it is either a "ding" in the threads, or corrosion.  I would examine the kc5 threads with a good magnifier - 10X or so - to see if you can find any damage.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 08:30:13 AM »
SmokinJoe, sorry I didn't read your message carefully enough at first. The end of a Schoeps Colette cable that attaches to the microphone body has a larger diameter than the capsule end, and thus more leverage when you turn it. I agree that the risk of cross-threading is greater there. Also, what you're turning is a kind of collar that has some "play" in it with respect to the rest of the piece you're holding at that point, so the tactile feedback is less definite.

The trick that I described earlier, rotating first in the "loosening" direction before you tighten, still applies here, though it's a little less straightforward. You have to put a bit of pressure on the mike body so that it's pushing into the Colette cable's connector. Then you can feel the "cogging"--the little bump that occurs--when you rotate the connector's collar past the start of the thread.

--best regards

P.S.: In reply to some other messages I'm going to risk being undiplomatic here: I've been using Nextel-finish microphones and capsules since Schoeps started offering them, and I disagree with the claims that this finish is fragile. If you're chipping the finish, especially repeatedly, then maybe you need to be paying a little closer attention to what you're doing when you're handling the microphones. Sure, accidents happen, and a microphone that's been used hundreds or thousands of times won't look perfectly new any more. But there's a certain level of reasonable care that's appropriate when using these items, and some people may not have found that level yet, or may not be looking for it, I dunno. Most of all I recommend the judicious application of a single-tasking mindset when setting up and tearing down.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
I've always had some nickle envy.

I think it comes down to similarly used nickle finish caps looking better than similarly used nextel or painted caps.  I assume that from my experience with bicycles and a wide range of other products.

The coarse matte texture of nextel grey is prone to accumulate oil and dirt from fingers, even if you aren't eating fries while changing caps.  It is also prone to wear while sliding in and out of mounts.  I see that in photos of caps and mics.

I'd order nickle if I had a 'do-over'. On the other hand, the grey has an advantage for the buyer - if the mic has been roughly handled, etc, it'll show!  Dave, do you know if the schoeps nickle is paint, plated, or something else?

My nextel grey caps look great, but I've been really careful.  I am sometimes surprised by the photos posted in the Yard of caps described as 'excellent condition' that actually have nicks around the corners, etc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com