Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I need a 2-channel speaker setup  (Read 10794 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
I need a 2-channel speaker setup
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
SSIA - I have not used anything but headphones for many, many years now and am fairly illiterate on what a good setup would be. I would like something, probably bookshelf size, that strikes a good balance between cost and performance. My previous setup was a pair of a Paradigm Titans which were a bit of a diamond in the rough. I actually wouldn't mind another pair, but can probably afford better.

I have an m902 and would like to use this for my DAC. Not sure what (or if) it can actually drive in terms of speakers.

Does anyone also use a dedicated sub-woofer when listening to 2-channel stuff? Seems more like a home theatre thing.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: I need a 2-channel speaker setup
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
SSIA - I have not used anything but headphones for many, many years now and am fairly illiterate on what a good setup would be. I would like something, probably bookshelf size, that strikes a good balance between cost and performance. My previous setup was a pair of a Paradigm Titans which were a bit of a diamond in the rough. I actually wouldn't mind another pair, but can probably afford better.

I have an m902 and would like to use this for my DAC. Not sure what (or if) it can actually drive in terms of speakers.

Does anyone also use a dedicated sub-woofer when listening to 2-channel stuff? Seems more like a home theatre thing.

Keep the 902 and use it as a pre....send the outs of the 902 to pair of KRK RP6's or RP8's..... add ipod or cd player and enjoy....   
I too had a pair of titan or were they phantom... traded up to a pair od se3mk2....still have em and love them.    Hardly listen to them any more since I am runing the KRK on the computer....                  Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
In my opinion you are better served with a 2 channel power amp and a pair of passive speakers. That way in you want to upgrade in pieces, or if god forbid either of the pieces break or need repair you can plug the missing piece.

Used 2 channel amps from Adcom, NAD, etc. can be had for ~$100 used on Audiogon.com.

There are literally hundreds of good stand mounted speakers out there. Check out B&W, Dynaudio, Epos, Wharfdale, and NHT to start.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
Not sure where you live, but there is always a ton of good stuff on our local Craigs List...  I picked up my mirage sub and paradigms on there for cheap... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 12:38:55 PM »
An important question (and a frequently asked one around here): what sort of budget are you thinking about?  The sky is really the limit with speakers (I just saw some that were 125,000 each, and that's in euros)...

There are literally hundreds of good stand mounted speakers out there. Check out B&W, Dynaudio, Epos, Wharfdale, and NHT to start.

I am loving the Dynaudios...I own two pairs, one of which replaced the (much larger) Advents that I have had for years and thought I would never get rid of...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »
Is the 902 hooked up to your PC/Mac?  Is a remote control critical in your setup?  Please advise.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:12:43 PM »
Is the 902 hooked up to your PC/Mac?  Is a remote control critical in your setup?  Please advise.

Yes, I've got it hooked up to the PC where I listen with cans. A remote control is not critical (although I could buy the m902 IR remote if necessary).

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »

Yes, I've got it hooked up to the PC where I listen with cans. A remote control is not critical (although I could buy the m902 IR remote if necessary).

Then keep the 902 as the preamp and get a pair of small powered near field monitors.  I run Benchmark DAC1 > KRK VXT4 monitors.  Best sounding 2 channel rig I've ever had.  Forget buying a rig at Best Buy, HH Gregg, or Crutchfield. All major league crap. I know, for I still own a Denon 7.1 channel HT system, and it sucks when compared to my Benchmark setup.   

With the 902, you are 90% on your way to the perfect 2 channel rig.  Do your research on some nice powered monitors and enjoy. 

FYI: I don't use a sub in my Benchmark setup.  Over kill, IMO.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:09:29 PM by spyder9 »

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
An important question (and a frequently asked one around here): what sort of budget are you thinking about?  The sky is really the limit with speakers (I just saw some that were 125,000 each, and that's in euros)...

I am loving the Dynaudios...I own two pairs, one of which replaced the (much larger) Advents that I have had for years and thought I would never get rid of...

We had a pair as mid fields at one of the studios I worked at back in the day and they (sorry, forget the model) were simply sublime to listen too. You could listen for hours on end with little to no fatigue.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 01:25:52 AM »
I own older larger B&Ws, but for bookshelf stuff, both powered & not I've heard very nice sounding Dynaudios, never heard KRKs, NHT or modern Warfdales, but suggest you also consider the JBL LSR stuff.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 08:19:33 PM »
w/your front end, ...and given the flexibility of budget...
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/purity

look for a used pair.  www.audiogon.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Timely yardsale candidates-
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=151585.msg0;topicseen#new

I haven't heard these, but have considered them for surround monitoring due to their very good specs (JBL is one of a few that publish proper measurements), room mode EQ and coordinated networked control via front pannel, IR remote or PC.  My only beef is the inability to route audio to them over the same CAT5 network connection, which would allow me to eliminate the necessary multichannel DAC or digital output computer interface.  That's not an issue for you with stereo and your M902.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
I just did this exact same thing today.  I'm going off to Afghanistan for my next post and wanted to build a HQ desktop setup.  It was the Herman Cain speaker plan.  Maximum 9" x 9" x 9" speaker dimensions.  My qualification for an amp was that it had to accept any voltages.  Ended up on Audiogon and was able to do the following today:

Audioengine N22 desktop amplifier: $120 (used)
Silverline Audio Minuet speakers: $339 (used)
Morrow Audio SP1 bi-wired speaker cables: $125 (new with coupon)

Adding what I already have to the mix:

Pure i-20 iPod dock: $100 (new)
Morrow Audio MA1 interconnect: $50 (new)

Everything can fit in a part of a suitcase and I'll be set.  Everything received stellar reviews, and I definitely did my research.  Other speakers that I seriously considered were the psb Image B4 and the NHT Absolute Zero.  The Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 have been receiving rave reviews, but they were a bit large (around 12" high) for me.  I also looked at the Focal cms 40 monitors, but the separate volume controls would have driven me crazy after a certain point.  For a 2.1 channel setup, the Paradigm milleniaone looks good but the sub is too heavy and the satellites have no bass by themselves.

You may also want to look at the Peachtree Audio Decca2 system.  It's on sale at Amazon.com for around $800, which is an absolute steal for what you get (40 watt integrated amp, A/D converter, and two speakers).  Too heavy to take with me, but is probably incredible.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »
It was the Herman Cain speaker plan.  Maximum 9" x 9" x 9" speaker dimensions.

Seem like decent compact, highy portable small speakers which fit your needs well.. and likely to be more sucessful in the 'primary system' than Cain.  ;)

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
I have a pair of B&W 805's and I absolutely LOVE them. I like mine with a sub but I tend to like a little more bass than most. I am not sure if those are above your price range or not put I have heard the equivalent of the 805's all the way down the line as far as B&W goes and the CM5 as well as the 685 are all solid performers. The 685's do have a better bass output and are half the cost of the CM5 but the CM5 is so damn smooth I feel the upgrade is worth it.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
Then keep the 902 as the preamp and get a pair of small powered near field monitors.

^^ I know this thread is old, but this.  I have a similar set up using an Edirol UA-101 as a pre/soundcard into a pair of powered monitors; simple and sounds good.  In addition to the KRK's, Mackie also makes reasonably priced monitors and, surprisingly, so does M-Audio.  Don't know what your budget is, but the Adam A7X's are awfully nice.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 09:57:57 PM »
Then keep the 902 as the preamp and get a pair of small powered near field monitors.

^^ I know this thread is old, but this.  I have a similar set up using an Edirol UA-101 as a pre/soundcard into a pair of powered monitors; simple and sounds good.  In addition to the KRK's, Mackie also makes reasonably priced monitors and, surprisingly, so does M-Audio.  Don't know what your budget is, but the Adam A7X's are awfully nice.

Luckily, I move slow and am still mulling it over. Guess I should check out the Adam's! :)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 09:28:17 AM »
I think that before you start picking speakers left and right, you need to ask yourself whether you want speakers for listening to music or for monitoring recordings.  Speakers for listening to music will often have some high frequency emphasis with some rolled off bass that colors the sound a bit.  Monitors will usually strive to have as flat a response across the frequency spectrum, which is great for monitoring, but may lack the life of speakers that you want for relaxation and music listening.

Speakers like the Adams and the KRKs fall squarely into the monitoring category, while some of the other speakers mentioned here, like the B&Ws and the Silverlines are more for music listening (although they may say that they are in fact miniature monitors, there are better choices for that application).

If you want monitors, then you can get a pair and be ready to plug and go with your Grace unit and an external source.  The drawback is that the sound may be too dry and clinical.  If you want loudspeakers, then you would need an external amplifier and a pair of speakers, in addition to the source.  Their drawback is that they may sound too loose and euphonically colored for your application.  Everything is a trade-off within a certain price range.

As for the sub, it depends.  I have a set of B&W CDM1SEs as my main speakers, which have served me well through a succession of apartments without a sub.  Now that I have a house, I'm strongly considering adding one because the B&Ws only go down to around 65 hz or so.  Those bass notes are important, but if space or budget are considerations, you can be very happy without one.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
i have an m902 and used to run it into a pair of alesis m1 active mkii's...they sounded great until one of them died.  i've never gotten around to getting it repaired, and last year i saw a deal pop up on a set of refurb'd m-audio studiophile av-40's.  they just recently died on me, and i wouldn't recommend them to anyone.  the sound wasn't anything special, they couldn't handle higher volumes at all without getting distorted and muddy...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 10:30:53 AM »
Energy is also pretty good.  I use those for my HT
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline dabbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 03:16:51 AM »
I'm curious what OP decided on.  I'm in a similar situation, having used
headphones most of my life.

I'm eyeing the Emotiva Airmotiv 6 + ODAC (JDS Labs/NwAvGuy), both of which are
new to the market.  I might splurge on the Adam A7X if I think I'd notice an
improvement.

I hope my room won't have enough interference to require balanced connections.
The Dynaudio BM5A MKIIs only appear to take XLR input...
If I decide balanced output is necessary, I think HRT Music Streamer Pro is the
(only?) logical choice.  Not sure I'd want to pay ~1K for a Benchmark DAC to get
balanced output.

Anyways I think I'll wait a few months before I make a decision (and hopefully
wait for more reviews to roll in).  I will also be DIY-ing bass traps, acoustic
panels, and speaker stands.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »
Check the bic America Venturi speakers like 120 for a pair, and any amp will work just fine. But the speakers sound great!
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com