Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity Question Or Two...  (Read 2062 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Audacity Question Or Two...
« on: November 04, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »
Using Audacity to transfer my dats I recorded in years past.  Some i might have recorded in 48khz.  Do's Audacity automatically change the sample rate to 44.1?  I see a couple of things on the screen.  Where i see waveforms I see "Stereo, 44100Hz 32-bit float".  Lower left hand I see "Project Rate ( Hz ) 44100", and in the lower right hand I see "Actual Rate: 44100"  I might have a question or two later.

Thanks.

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: Audacity Question Or Two...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 12:32:29 AM »
go to preferences > quality and set the bit depth and sampling rate that you want BEFORE opening your file -- audacity will convert if not
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »
go to preferences > quality and set the bit depth and sampling rate that you want BEFORE opening your file -- audacity will convert if not

Thanks.  Bit depth is known.  Just not sure of the sampling rate.  I'm thinking I recorded in 48kHz, but not entirely sure.  I'm using a Sony D10ProII to play back the dats.  Hosa AES->optical into a Mac Mini.   I'm wondering if there is a way to determine the sampling rate before I start the transfer.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »

This has not been my experience.

Audacity in my experience correctly reads the sample rate etc. The project rate is what it will export at, the actual is the what was read from the file. I have never had audacity change that.

It defaults to 44.1 in the project so if you don't remember to change that prior to exporting it will resample but I have never seen it doing it on open/import.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com