Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853 > 3.5mm to dual TS adapter > Zoom H6. Why isn't this working?  (Read 7831 times)

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
Re: AT853 > 3.5mm to dual TS adapter > Zoom H6. Why isn't this working?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 07:20:16 PM »
they sound better and have a higher SPL handling ability running them 3-wire/the AT power boxes/another box with the phantom power adaptors/custom made 3-wire BB vs 2-wire (terminated into a single mini plug) thats why they "clip" when running them off a battery box/plug in power while in loud situations. They were not designed to operate like that.. Soundpros sells them like that as a (lower price) standard package vs. selling them as they are made (mini xlr) then having to sell the adaptors and a phantom power supply/custom made 3-wire BB which is obviously a much higher cost. They do/did offer the "high SPL mod" (which is simply putting the connectors back on that they took off) and a pair of adaptors..but, in reality this isn't a mod, this is how they come from the factory.. the single mini-plug termination is the mod (which doesn't work well)

The high SPL mod is another matter completely. I think that's the Chris Chruch mod that adds a resistor somewhere - that mod was later revealed by Chris and then summarily copied by SP...its more than just a connector swap.

Soundpros original "high SPL mod" was putting the xlr connectors back on and including a pair of Nady or AT phantom power adaptors. The resistor mod was brought in by Chris Church afterwards. I bought mine around 8-9 years ago..so.. I'm sure they have changed their website as far as the options for the mics. Regardless, 3-wire is the correct way. The resistor mod makes them close to the SPL handling as the 3-wire, but they have slightly higher noise than.

(they even had yet another HIGHER SPL option, but that was just including a set of the AT power modules (one per mic).. they have mini xlrs in. I had a pair of the 8532s at one time, but they made the mics sound very flat)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:26:56 PM by nameloc01 »
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: AT853 > 3.5mm to dual TS adapter > Zoom H6. Why isn't this working?
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com