Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How far back is too far?  (Read 28397 times)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:How far back is too far?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2003, 09:20:55 PM »
Oh, and about the "sound guy mixes for best sound at head level theory."

How many soundboards/sound engineers are at YOUR head level?  None, they're all raised...  Or they couldn't see over your head!

Offline geoff piper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2003, 09:42:44 PM »
Geoff, I just got the Gefell's, so I haven't taped too much with them yet ;)  

That said, I don't go to many arena shows.  My wife loves DMB, so those are the biggest shows we tape.  I'm taping D+T next Monday, so I'll let you know what I think then.  We're pretty much DFC, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back ;)

My normal taping scene is small clubs (<250 or so people) or medium venues (<1500 or so)...  For me, the M300's are working out really well.  I'm listening to the Guster show I taped last night at Bogart's, a pretty crappy sounding venue, and it sounds fantastic.

Of course, I taped from the middle of the floor :D

let me know how the D&T show comes out... in fact after conversion if you could, could you upload it to my friends server... BTW what are you running infront of it

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2003, 09:59:22 PM »
M300 > wmod UA5 > optical Nomad JB3

(soon to be a lappy if I can get my damn Dell capturing via USB ;)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2003, 11:27:40 PM »
ducati, what d+t show are you taping?

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2003, 02:12:55 AM »
that's the only place to tape at bogarts!!!!!!!!!!!   8)
dave
ps do you live in cincy?  know a guy named joe dielh?  
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2003, 08:48:41 AM »
ShepzToobes: Hehe yep, they want you behind the board and it sounds like a$$ back there, IMO.  

I'm actually quite surprised, because people were bumping into the mic stand every 3-4 minutes (and the one drunk a-hole who kept trying to grab it because he was 16 and the world revolved around his nat-light-can-drinking-a$$ did I mention how much I hate all ages shows??), and I don't hear it at all on the tape.  I guess shockmounts really work??

I don't live in cinti, I live in Columbus.. never heard of Joe, sorry :)

nmculbreth: I'm taping D+T at Millett in Oxford (Miami University, my alma mater)...  I met a guy at the Guster show who has 11th row center tiks.  I wasn't able to convince him that trading his tik for mine was a good idea...  Come on, man, for the tape!!  Damn, that would sound nice :)

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2003, 09:38:24 AM »
where are you sitting?  i'll be sitting in section 4 row b, you are welcome to clamp on my stand if you'd like.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2003, 09:45:05 AM »
You don't happen to have an extra clamp, do ya?  ;)

You know, I can't recall where our seats are.  Section 102, I think, not sure what row but I think L?  Sounds suspiciously high to me  >:(

I can't recall the seating arrangements there, though, row L might be fairly close to the front of 102?  If it is, it won't be too bad..  And we're in seats 1 and 2, so I can put the stand in the aisle and not between my legs.  But...

To answer the original poster's question, this may indeed be TOO FAR BACK ;)

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2003, 09:49:59 AM »
Hey, I keep forgetting to ask...  Did you make the Guster show?  

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2003, 10:38:29 AM »
hey ducati,

i am from indiana originally.  haven't lived there for over 5 years now.  i am in israel at the moment.  when i get back to the states this summer my wife and i will be moving to cincy.  i'm sure we will see each other around once that happens.

joe runs the 170's.  he does many a show at bogarts.  i can almost guarantee if he is there he is the only guy running them.  anyway, he's a good guy to know.  you can look for him the next time you are there....

dave

Fuck MSG!!!

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2003, 10:42:30 AM »
Yeah, I was the only one with mics setup, as far as I could tell...  I'm heading down to Bogart's for Scofield (I'm pumped, seeing him twice that week), maybe he'll be there!  Does he run a laptop by chance?

Cool you're coming back to OH!  I haven't made it down to cinti nearly enough (my sis lives there, as well as a bunch of friends) but always seem to make it there for shows, so I'm sure we'll see each other around ;)  

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2003, 11:05:36 AM »
i haven't seen him since the claypool show last summer.  
he wasn't running a lappy then.
did you tape the cincy phish shows??
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2003, 11:20:11 AM »
Just wondering, I saw a guy up here at Galactic running LD mics (I didn't look to see what kind) > lappy...

Nope, didn't go to any of the current Phish shows.  After listening to some of the tapes, tho, I sure wish I had!!   :o

To be honest I was Phish'd out years ago.  It wasn't until I heard a tape from Vegas shows that I thought I might want to consider going to another Phish show!!  

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2003, 11:34:04 AM »
so your opinion is to run mics at 7-9 feet from the back of pavillion's regardless eh Phil?  hmm interesting.  to me, where and how high to run varies greatly depending on the artist/ mic-capsule choice/ stack array/ location/ crowd/ etc.

nice to meet ya, Phil.  how long ya been taping with your own mics?  what kinda mics/ rig do you own, and where have you been testing out this standard 7-9 foot theory?  you have me extremely curious now as to the basis in real world experience for this theory of yours.  ;)  

peace

~S      

Scott-
I have a quesiton to ask you before I get into my reasoning for my post earlier...What are you proposing by questioning my response to this post?  I think 7-9 feet is a wide range depending on venue size/mic location/cap's/etc....what would you suggest?  

I have been in this "scene" for 5 years.  I have been taping shows since 98, and although I hadn't owned a rig back then,  I have heard hundreds of tapes from different sources in different locations, all while comparing different sources to each other.  
 So as far as my personal taping experience with my own rig, I do not own one personally, but I have brought my friends rigs in to a few shows and been very happy with the results!
I was referring to running the mics at the 7-9 foot range because if the soundman and system engineer are doing their job, the best sound is supposed to be at head level.   You know as well as everyone else, that taping is hit or miss.
 I have been fortunate enough to realize that this works for me, so I am wondering...What works for you?
peace
PHiL
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2003, 12:20:23 PM »
i didn't make it to guster... i sold off my ps-2 and my mp-2 hasn't arrived yet so i had no way of powering my mics.

as for millett, it is a small venue so taping from section 102 might be ok.  i was in the same section but was able to upgrade my seat.  i don't have an extra clamp but if you can find one you are more than welcome to clamp on my stand.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com