Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: advice on taping quiet show (spoken word and accoustic)  (Read 2744 times)

Offline red

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
advice on taping quiet show (spoken word and accoustic)
« on: September 25, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »
I pretty much only have taped really loud rock shows (I have those settings down).  I need some advice for levels on a spoken word and acoustic performance.  My options are r09hr or tascam dr2d (or I could dust off my tascan dr07 if that's better for quiet shows).  I will use my sp-cmc-2 (at831) since all my other mics are 4.7k modded. 
* should I record mic in?
* I imagine I still should use battery box?
* should I set to high sensitivity?
* any tips on recording levels?

Any advice/tips, would be much appreciated.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: advice on taping quiet show (spoken word and accoustic)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:51:42 PM »
Answers to your questions in order:

1. Yes - that's what I used to do with my CA-14s > battery box > M10 when recording quiet choral music.  Although I can't attest to the quality of the mic in on your recorders, that got me a decent amount of extra gain on my M10.
2. Definitely yes.  More voltage = mics performing closer to spec, and insurance in case things would get loud.  You can still go mic in but PIP set to Off.
3. Probably not.  It's likely that your're going to get more of the recorder's self-noise that way.  Even when I was using my M10 as described above, I always was on low sensitivity, and boosted in post if necessary.  Much better results than the other way.
4. See if you can get there during rehearsal / sound check and set levels to peak no higher than -16.  That leaves you a good amount of insurance in case things get louder, and you can still boos in post like I said.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline red

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:04:43 PM »
thanks voltronic!  I don't think I can get there for rehearsal as there will be none.  it's really just one song to be performed.  I'll be recording 24 bit so will have lots of boost-room after.  I tend to run my levels a little conservative anyways.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 09:21:14 AM »
Here's a few samples of things I recorded a couple years ago with CA14 > UBB > M10.  Settings were as I mentioned earlier.

The choir examples have the mics in ORTF 10ft up and about 15ft back from the conductor in a very small church, angled down at the choir which is a single-line arc of about 15 singers.

The instrumental examples are ORTF on a low stand just above stage lip, angled upwards at the musicians in an even smaller recital hall.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »
For non amplified shows (mainly acoustic) I make sure I set the levels to have the clapping around -6db. You're music levels will likely be pretty low then, but with 24bits you can boost the levels fine.

In post I'll decrease the levels of clapping and increase the levels of the music to be closer matched.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline voltronic

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 12:21:19 PM »
For non amplified shows (mainly acoustic) I make sure I set the levels to have the clapping around -6db. You're music levels will likely be pretty low then, but with 24bits you can boost the levels fine.

In post I'll decrease the levels of clapping and increase the levels of the music to be closer matched.

That's an excellent guideline.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline red

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 08:14:48 PM »
thx everyone, I was able to get my recording; I ended up using my old sp-cmc-8 (w/o 4.7k mod) b/c they were smaller and fit better into my stealth for the day.  I also ran my dr07 internal mics as a backup just in case something went awry with that other one.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com