Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Shure MV88 iPhone Mic

(1/8) > >>

edtyre:
Check out acidjacks postings for more info
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174591.msg2161162#msg2161162

I decided to try one of these out to get a little better sound for my cell phone vids (which are 8/22 mono)
Since i already run Schoeps for audio (and i am too lazy to copy the good audio for two cell phone vids a show)
this little thing seemed ideal. It works really well. Here's a sample from my first outing. I tryed all the different settings.
Raw M/S didn't sound as good as stereo 105 spread no compression or limiter. The metering is way off, you have to dial it
back to much less than the meters say, i can live with that.

Added: I tryed two different lightning extension cables and both didn't work.
Anybody using an extension cable with one of these?

Thierry:
Still debating if I should get this for the upcoming GnR European tour. I think the security is going to be as tight as hell. This should be easy getting in. Where should I place it? I guess in a pocket or something?

pontiacb:
I've used this quite a few times now when getting my main rig in proved too difficult and really happy with the results - I've posted a few recordings on Dime.  It's still reasonably bulky but just about squeezes into my wallet at a push.  I highly recommend it.

I did have some issues with the app crashing, but when I freed up a bit of extra space on my phone (an old 5c) the crashes stopped happening.

I stick the phone in my jacket front pocket with the mic sticking out of the top.  I also coloured in my mic with a black marker pen as I found the silver a bit too noticeable.

Shure's customer service was excellent when I had problems getting a recording off when the app crashed - emailed me back immediately with full instructions and managed to retrieve it.

morst:

--- Quote from: pontiacb on June 08, 2017, 02:40:47 PM ---I stick the phone in my jacket front pocket with the mic sticking out of the top.  I also coloured in my mic with a black marker pen as I found the silver a bit too noticeable.

--- End quote ---
Great idea!

--- Quote ---
Shure's customer service was excellent when I had problems getting a recording off when the app crashed - emailed me back immediately with full instructions and managed to retrieve it.

--- End quote ---
do you mind sharing those instructions?

thanks for the good info!!!

pontiacb:
I don't have the email anymore, but it was very simple.  I had to connect the phone to my PC and open up iTunes.  The motiv app showed up on the menu on the left side from memory and when I selected that there was a file listed, think the extension was *.tmp or similar.  I simply had to select that and copy it to my PC - it was the wav file but wasn't visible on the phone via the motiv app.  It was an important recording (to me) as it was one of my favourite bands, so it was a bonus to find I could retrieve it.

Btw the reason the app crashed was because I had unplugged the microphone from the phone before stopping/saving the recording - I realise it was  a daft thing to do in hindsight, but for some reason that's what I did!

Shure Europe said they were aware of the issue with files not being visible in the app following some crashes during recording and the developers of the app were working on a fix.

It was very unusual in my experience to get such a prompt and helpful reply from a company when I had emailed a general help email address.  So top marks to Shure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version