Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 2781 times)

obsidian

• Trade Count: (0)
Quick Question
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:01:49 PM »
Would there be any advantages / disadvantages to using a Ferrite Ring on the cable going from my battery box into the line in of a Sony PCM?  Would it cut down on battery noise (if that is a thing) and or cell phone interference?  I would be very curious to know as I have a show coming up Friday and was thinking of trying it out.

PS: The picture shows a USB thingy, but I just included it to show what a Ferrite Ring was I am referring to in case I used the wrong term.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/76412/how-does-a-ferrite-core-wire-terminator-work-to-reduce-emc

Both answers imply that for your specific use it might provide some protection from EMC's. Here is the sentence I derive that opinion from:
The ferrite material used in these things present a high impedance to high-frequency (MHz and up) common mode noise, which is why one usually sees them on DC power cables and on ribbon cables carrying relatively low frequency signals.
bold my emphasis
So, your cable between battery box and recorder is a 'DC Power cable'.

Waiting on others' more electronically inclined than I to weigh in as well.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:33:21 PM »
Would there be any advantages / disadvantages to using a Ferrite Ring on the cable going from my battery box into the line in of a Sony PCM?  Would it cut down on battery noise (if that is a thing) and or cell phone interference?  I would be very curious to know as I have a show coming up Friday and was thinking of trying it out.

PS: The picture shows a USB thingy, but I just included it to show what a Ferrite Ring was I am referring to in case I used the wrong term.

It couldn't hurt but I don't think you will see any real advantage from it. Keep the unbalanced cables as short as possible. Cell phone interference was more of a problem in the past than it is now and the main point of leakage is going to be the connectors, not the cable, as long as it is shielded.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 03:53:17 AM »
It couldn't hurt but I don't think you will see any real advantage from it. Keep the unbalanced cables as short as possible. Cell phone interference was more of a problem in the past than it is now and the main point of leakage is going to be the connectors, not the cable, as long as it is shielded.
I might be mixing up terminology here, but I do not think there is such a thing as an unbalanced cable that is shielded. Without looking it up, I think unbalanced cables use the shielding for ground, or something along that line.

Along those same lines, wrapping a random amount of ferrite around a cable seems about as useful as putting a random resistor, of capacitor, in a circuit. It may, or may not work.

I am not an EE so I could not be right.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:20:09 AM »
Great question! I've been thinking about this as well. I bought a cable to use between my Nbox and M10. It has a ferro ring but I have no clue if it has any advantage or not.

"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:04 AM »
I sincerely doubt it will make an audible difference, but it certainly can't hurt to try.  Are there two sets?  Bring two cables, one with and one without, and switch between sets.  Let us know how it works out for you.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

obsidian

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 03:08:27 AM »
I am going to try this for sure!  I got the replies too late for the friday show but I will be seeing another in just a few days and I'll be running two identical rigs and one will have the Ferrite Ring and the other will not. We'll soon see!

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »
good luck !
2 rigs is always a challenge,
cheers
pm
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com