Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 alternative for taping and vinyl transfers?  (Read 12788 times)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-M10 alternative for taping and vinyl transfers?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
Build quality is very subjective. While some people are looking for solid build, others may be looking for something more light/portable.

While I've owned the Edirol R-1, R-09, and R-09HR and 2 of the Sony m10s, the Edirols were made of the flimsiest plastic I've ever felt.

I was a little surprised to see comments that Tascams have let people down on build quality due to my experiences with the Edirols and Tascam. I have no issues at all with the Sonys I own either (well except I always get nervous opening and closing the door to the miniSD card - that is flimsy).

I use the R-09HR and the M-10, and find them both to be well built.  My only complaint is the R-09HR screen, because after a while, it's unreadable (mine is still fine, but it's on its way).  The Sony, being metal, is by far the best in that regard, but the I don't find the Edirol flimsy at all.  In fact, I love the material because it never sets off metal detectors.  The older Tascams were notorious for falling apart.  The knobs/switches/dials would simply come off on their own.  I agree that the M-10 should have used a full size SD card and not a mini.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline meursault

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 07:33:38 AM »
I hate opening a new topic so I think I could post what I am searching for here.
I would like a m10 alternative without integrated mics and headphone. Just a recorder with line in and mic in.
I have mics and preamp already.
Thank you

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 08:26:48 AM »
Zoom F1?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 08:48:50 AM »
A bunch of members are still hoping for a replacement to the m10. 

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 01:27:54 PM »
^^^ Yup! ^^^
The M-10 is a fantastic machine.  Damn, the batteries will last around 50 hours!  Not that anyone asked, but there have been a comment (or two) suggesting a zoom.  NO, is all I can say to that.  If, on the other hand, you want to spend some money on something for home use, and legal taping situations, I would recommend Sound Devices.
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 02:43:55 PM »
Not that anyone asked, but there have been a comment (or two) suggesting a zoom.  NO, is all I can say to that. 

I'm not interested in starting some big argument here, but I'm curious about your basis for writing off all Zoom products like that.  I know I've been really happy with the F4 and F8, and I'm very interested in getting my hands on an F1.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 04:31:56 PM »
Not that anyone asked, but there have been a comment (or two) suggesting a zoom.  NO, is all I can say to that. 

I'm not interested in starting some big argument here, but I'm curious about your basis for writing off all Zoom products like that.  I know I've been really happy with the F4 and F8, and I'm very interested in getting my hands on an F1.

I agree that this is not the place for a discussion about Zoom products, or anything other than what the OP has asked for.  Briefly, to attempt a quick and comprehensive answer to your question, My experience with Zoom products have been anything but fruitful.  Build quality seems poor, and at least what I have had to use, was not only user-unfriendly, but didn't yield favorable results.  In other words, my experience with them has only been bad.  I am unfamiliar with the F1, and although I have heard a couple good things about the F8, I have heard more people say that they wouldn't touch one than those that like them.  So, some of this is personal experience and some is not.  For ME, I want equipment that I will not only enjoy using, but that I'm happy with the results I get.  I record for myself, as well as various jobs recording live music, and need to be able to count on consistent high quality performance, and would not feel comfortable with Zoom products.   I hope that answers your question, as I do not wish to continue this discussion on this thread.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 04:53:59 PM »
Right on man...I was just curious. 

As to the original topic, I haven't used any recorder for vinyl transfers, but the R-05 has served me well for taping in a form factor similar to the M10.  It's unfortunate that the R-05, like the M10, is no longer being made.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »
I think the Tascam DR-05 is an underrated recorder.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
Right on man...I was just curious. 

As to the original topic, I haven't used any recorder for vinyl transfers, but the R-05 has served me well for taping in a form factor similar to the M10.  It's unfortunate that the R-05, like the M10, is no longer being made.

No problem.
I use an R-09HR and love it.  I know a couple people who use an R-05, and are very happy with it.  I have never heard any first hand reviews from anyone about a Roland/Edirol recorder.  Also, I believe they are still available, unlike the M-10, but you may have to search a little.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 11:28:05 PM »
It looks like the R-05 is vanishing online--Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, B&H, gone. And if you look at the thread on its successor, the R-07, it seems Roland eliminated a line-in for hotter signals.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184906.45
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:30:21 PM by earmonger »

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 09:13:50 AM »

Unfortunately, in contrast to the M10, the DR-05 can't handle a very hot signal (-4 dBV maximum).  I wouldn't want to use it for loud shows with sensitive mics (like my 2006C's) or a pre with fixed/minimum gain (like an nBox).   

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »

Unfortunately, in contrast to the M10, the DR-05 can't handle a very hot signal (-4 dBV maximum).  I wouldn't want to use it for loud shows with sensitive mics (like my 2006C's) or a pre with fixed/minimum gain (like an nBox).

I guess my experience has only been with the internal mics. With those, I got an excellent capture at a Jeff Beck concert -- no distortion. And I've also used it for band rehearsals, just sitting it on a table, and again the results were very satisfactory.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 09:26:44 PM »
I think I bought my Tascam DR-05 for something like $49.95 on sale and then I've watched the price creep up to the $99 or thereabouts today except for the occasional $79 sale.  Never a problem.  Battery life better than some other recorders I've used.  Internal mics aren't bad.  Easy menu.  I've never used it to record a loud show so I can't comment there, but my experience with it has also been positive.   

M10 is still my favorite recorder for its terrific battery life, recording quality, etc.     

If I were just doing a bunch of vinyl transfers, I might look at a USB interface like a Focusrite 2i2 or even Behringer's little UCA202 paired with Audacity. 

Offline chadbang

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »
I just posted about it, but the M10 is VERY good for needle dropping and recording analogue signals. I bought one for just that purpose and held my breath during a shoot-out out of the line-in capabilities. I was very please to discover the Sony did wonderfully. An extremely faithful reproduction of the signal. So, you might consider another M10 from the used market?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com