Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Stand  (Read 9889 times)

Offline krowllaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic Stand
« on: October 27, 2017, 07:35:50 PM »
Any recommendations for a mic stand?  I didn't realize there are so many options now!

http://www.fullcompass.com/searchresults.php?search_simple=true&txtAll=light+stand

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic Stand
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
For a stand over 10ft, you want a Manfrotto 1004BAC.  Lightweight but sturdy construction, well worth the price.  I wish I had bought one of these in the first place when I was starting out rather than the cheap ones which are far inferior in quality.

If you need a bag to carry it in, this one fits it perfectly.  You don't need the Manfrotto bag unless you're transporting 3 of these stands.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
If an 8ft stand will meet your needs, I have owned this mic stand for a few years:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284734-REG/Lowel_UN_55_Uni_TO_Light_Stand.html

Compact, light weight and at a great price.

Online voltronic

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »
If an 8ft stand will meet your needs, I have owned this mic stand for a few years:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284734-REG/Lowel_UN_55_Uni_TO_Light_Stand.html

Lowel is another high-quality brand.  Keep in mind that this stand will need an adapter to mount it to anything threaded.  The Manfrotto stands tend to come with 3/8" threads on the studs, as well as 1/4" adapters.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline krowllaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 12:11:17 AM »
Thanks guys, order placed!

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:12:31 AM »
I have a lightweight 8’ Manfrotto if you’re interested, pm me.

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 01:44:13 AM »

I like the stability of that base, do you use it indoors a lot?  I am curious about the ends getting kicked as people walk by, I'm not really a stand blocker and usually try to leg in as much as I can.  On the other hand, I have been really thinking about that type stability lately so multiple mics don't take a dive while I'm away from my rig.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 03:38:36 AM »
Pay extra and get one that goes high...12 feet at least.  You always have the option to run low but going higher is the best solution for talkers that gather around a stand like moths to a light. It minimizes stress too cause you always have a solution to rude talkers that you're in control of.

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »

I like the stability of that base, do you use it indoors a lot?  I am curious about the ends getting kicked as people walk by, I'm not really a stand blocker and usually try to leg in as much as I can.  On the other hand, I have been really thinking about that type stability lately so multiple mics don't take a dive while I'm away from my rig.

Only once or twice in 17 years with my stand have I used the legs full out. Club shows are usually too tight, and at theater shows, there's no room between the fixed seats, so I tape it to the seat in front of me. The only times I remember having the feet fully open were at a local festival outside where I had plenty of room, and at work where the only solution for what we were doing was to mike a ceiling speaker in a hotel ballroom. Not only were the feet open all the way, but the pole was extended almost fully (14 feet).
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »
Gaff tape is your friend!  I tape down the legs to my stand to reduce the likelihood of if being moved or knocked over.  Easier than carrying sandbags.

Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
Gaff tape is your friend!  I tape down the legs to my stand to reduce the likelihood of if being moved or knocked over.  Easier than carrying sandbags.

Absolutely correct. Gaff or gorilla tape is always on my strap.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 04:21:43 PM »
Pay extra and get one that goes high...12 feet at least.  You always have the option to run low but going higher is the best solution for talkers that gather around a stand like moths to a light. It minimizes stress too cause you always have a solution to rude talkers that you're in control of.

Seconded.  For a decade I've been using various extensions both DIY and pro-built in order to get high enough when required, and I'm probably going to finally break down and buy a taller stand in the near future once the one I've been using finally goes kaput.  The key constraint for me in finding a taller stand is a short enough collapsed carry length.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online voltronic

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »

Seconded.  For a decade I've been using various extensions both DIY and pro-built in order to get high enough when required, and I'm probably going to finally break down and buy a taller stand in the near future once the one I've been using finally goes kaput.  The key constraint for me in finding a taller stand is a short enough collapsed carry length.

Don't worry about the short collapsed length; that's going to be difficult to find.  Just go for ease of transport with the proper bag.

Get yourself a Manfrotto 1004BAC, with this lacrosse bag recommended to me long ago by DigiGal.  I have used this combo for a long time and it's like they were made to work together.  There's still room enough for me to put in an extension pole and long stereo bar, as well as my complete carbon fiber stand setup for my 4061s slipped down the sides, with all of those things in their own protective pool cue sleeves to avoid scratching.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 02:00:48 PM »
I agree go as tall as you can, I have a 12' that can be rigged to 3 and many times the amount of crowd noise vs stands right next to me that are 15-17' Is night and day.

I use a bag that came on one of those fold up lawn chairs you see everywhere

Also say grab some gaff tape.
I have the legs at least partially out almost 100% of the time
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »
The Manfrotto 1004BAC is a pretty good stand.  A nice compromise between weight and stability.  Towards full extension, or with something heavy on top, though, it can sway quite a bit.  Mine replaced a K&M steel stand, which basically had no sway at all (at least with the loads I put on it).  That thing was really heavy, though, so the Manfrotto is a lot easier on my back...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.272 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com