Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)  (Read 126838 times)

Offline KenOrwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2018, 06:36:24 PM »
How about Olympus LS-P4?

Somebody has able to compare Olympus LS-P4 vs Roland R-07 in terms of internal mics (built-in mics)?

I do own a LS-P2 but I just broke my fresh Roland R-07 built-in mics before any comparison,
now my R-07 have around 6db difference of it's left and right channel, well.... :banging head:

I'm sorry to hear that! Thanks for the response anyways!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2018, 10:07:01 PM »
How did the mics get damaged?  A drop perhaps?  Anyway, sorry to hear that.

"Every single time I plugged the cable(s) in to run the R-07 on bus power it also recorded a terrible clicking sound." - I wonder what the power source was, and whether the reviewer tried a few before deciding there was a problem.

Offline AndCycle

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2018, 05:51:28 AM »
How did the mics get damaged?  A drop perhaps?  Anyway, sorry to hear that.

"Every single time I plugged the cable(s) in to run the R-07 on bus power it also recorded a terrible clicking sound." - I wonder what the power source was, and whether the reviewer tried a few before deciding there was a problem.

no drop in my sight, I carry gear with soft case package around each item,
the possible cause is testing it under high volume condition for hours as I compare it with Olympus LS-10/LS-11 which I original intend to replace.

usually I just preset audio gear then left them on their own because I have to do camera work,
as I am new to how R-07 is perform so I do test different manual setting to verify how it respond,

one of my old LS-11 have same issue, it do have plenty of scar on it because it's been knocked down a few times,
now I can confirm without proper setting and unattended for a long time could damaged mic or the circuit under high volume.

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2018, 03:19:10 PM »
At last I made a return. A lot of problems and seems to be not ready to the market.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2018, 02:50:17 PM »
Just got my hands on an r7 and after playing around with it at home
for a day or two i have my own observations and opinions. I have not tested in the field
and i will do that on thurs, so expect a follow-up after that. I read what others have
posted, but i am stealth most of the time, so this has a lot of interest to me and decided
to test it out.

It's case is entirely plastic, the whole back of the unit is rubberized. The feel in
your hand is better than r5. I'd say better for metal detection :-) It's lighter and
a tiny bit thicker than r5.

I didn't RTFM, but can't find a way to shut off the recording lights? If we can get into
service mode maybe they can be shut off. This is the reason almost everyone i know won't
consider one. Look at my pics, i'm doing recording over bluetooth remote control from my
iphone 8 app. No lights, because they are gaff taped. Yeh man, i'm a taper and i put
tape on anything.

I found that turning on the unit with bluetooth on, then launching the r7 app, then
searching for BT connection, then selecting the r7 connects me everytime and stays
connected. While i'm remote controlling the gain shown on the phone app exactly mirrors
the gain on the unit itself.

Locking with the hold switch on the unit does not lock the app control!!

I really don't need the tape, because i'll start up the unit and BT,
then never take it out of my pocket until i'm in my car on the way home.
Or..keep the tape on lock it after setting levels and not use the phone app
(adds one more link in the chain for something to go wrong) kiss
I had more tape holding things in place on my m-10, than this :-)

Oh...it works with up to 32 gig cards, when i format a 64 gig card i only get 32 gigs of recording available.

I'll save the rest until after i can post a good sample,
then we can have something to talk about.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:02:01 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »
Thanks for the initial review.

A lot of the early reviews have been negative, but I've still got one on order. It's only the stealth possibilities that I'm interested so look forward to reading your opinion after Thursday.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2018, 04:08:28 PM »
Thanks for the initial review.

A lot of the early reviews have been negative, but I've still got one on order. It's only the stealth possibilities that I'm interested so look forward to reading your opinion after Thursday.
If you look over this thread, the reviews from people who have recorded for a while and have some experience have been positive. Most of the negative comments have been from people speculating what  the deck will or will not be able to do, or from people who have limited experience working a deck. Additionally some reviews are from 3rd parties and who knows what their experience is. For me thus far and it has only been a few outings, the deck handles like my R05 but with the addition of a safety track and a remote function.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »
If you look over this thread, the reviews from people who have recorded for a while and have some experience have been positive. Most of the negative comments have been from people speculating what  the deck will or will not be able to do, or from people who have limited experience working a deck. Additionally some reviews are from 3rd parties and who knows what their experience is. For me thus far and it has only been a few outings, the deck handles like my R05 but with the addition of a safety track and a remote function.

Agreed, and your comments are mainly why I ordered.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2018, 08:10:26 PM »
Decided to keep mine, and after overcoming my earlier Bluetooth linking issues, my remaining concerns were, will the 'zippering' be a factor? (answer: no); and crucially, will this be able to handle a line level signal (read on)...

Although I'm now able to couple my phone, the range is weaker than I'd hoped (probably 20', max). This will certainly not be a factor when stealthing, but my hopes of remotely controlling a laid down unit (at a sbd) from considerably further away, are probably dashed. I've noticed the range is somewhat better using my Wingman app, but at least this Roland app can perform level adjustments. Hellooo, SD?? <I digress> But, the primary reason I bought this unit (remote controlling from a phone, close range) is now working to my complete satisfaction...

I ran this deck twice this past weekend, both loud blues shows, and both times using it as a "backup" sbd recorder. I split the feed and ran one pair into the R-07. Between the console and the deck, I placed an 18db attenuator. For the show sample (included below) I also ran the "2xWAV-24bit" option, which puts the safety track into play (great feature, for extra peace of mind). The level selector on the deck wound up between 42-45 (out of 100) at both shows, and peaks were in the -12 to -6 range. The resulting wav files both looked and sounded completely normal.

Good luck Th, Ed!

Carry on...

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:03:30 AM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline edtyre

« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
Thanks sos and dallman. The manual says 30 ft range on the BT. With my Wingman app i saw my levels were high and had to run
80 ft back to my rig to ACTUALLY turn the gain down, not exactly great, but hey it can start and stop and re-name tracks :-) (MP3)
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2018, 10:45:02 PM »

Agreed, and your comments are mainly why I ordered.

i just bought a second one
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline edtyre

« Reply #176 on: May 24, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »
part 2

It's not looking like we can run a line in at a loud show.
When you plug in any type of source into the unit's stereo
mini the gain now starts at 42. OK so with internal mics the range is
0-100, the range with anything plugged in is only 42-100.

I taped Justin Townes Earle last night. mk6 > nbox platinum prototype (6 db of gain) > r-07
This was a quiet solo acoustic show and the r7 barely was able to get this done.
It won't record a loud show on the line in without an -18 -20 db attenuator.
Last night when i pushed the gain from 42 to 45, i was crushing the levels, way over.
So i stayed at 42 and my phone app and unit were both peaking around -12. Look at the pics i posted of the wav and
the safety track. The wav looks like it was limited in some way, although i had limiter and low cut off.

The safety track amped 15 db, sounds ok. Here's a whole track to look at or listen to.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/85sh00j7pna5aq3/JTE.wav.zip?dl=0
video of opener Lilly Hiatt with safety track amplified 15 db
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr-fvsWQoBY&feature=youtu.be

I will run tonight with babynbox in, so we will see if this will even work at a loud show
with mic in. part 3 tomorrow

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:51:43 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #177 on: May 24, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »
Yeah, the peaks are all chopped off. Is the recording going to be salvageable?

Offline edtyre

« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2018, 10:32:06 AM »

Yes, the track i posted on Dropbox is the safety track amplified 15 db. The chopped track sucks :-(
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »

Yes, the track i posted on Dropbox is the safety track amplified 15 db. The chopped track sucks :-(
Ed, that is a bummer. I am not having any issues with the PipSqueak set on Low or using a Church UGLY (version 1 so I don't know what the gain is) I wonder why the difference. I recorded Micki Free, and it was Hendrix like loud. We have some other examples of loud shows that have been posted or written about. I wonder what their setup was?
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com