Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic with a diameter of only 3.5 mm  (Read 3430 times)

Offline gltape

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic with a diameter of only 3.5 mm
« on: March 24, 2018, 05:00:19 AM »
I want to buy this microphone that comes with three different head diameters (scroll the page to see the images with the specification): my target are the 3.5 and 5 mm diameter version.

What do you think about the 3.5 mm version mic ? It is possible that a mic so small can be of good quality for this price or it is better to choose the 5 mm version even thought is 3dB less sensitive?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:03:20 AM by gltape »

obsidian

Re: Mic with a diameter of only 3.5 mm
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:36:23 AM »
I'm not sure if you are in the States or not, if so, you should order it from here ...

https://www.amazon.com/Freeboss-Hs-13s2-l4a-Microphone-Sennheiser-Transmitter/dp/B00XHTSD8M?th=1

You'll get it a LOT faster and no issues if you need to return it. I just ordered one myself.

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:59:05 AM »
In the Amazon page you can choose the 3.5 and 5 mm version:

could you please say which version you have and what is your opinion on this microphone ?

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 01:40:20 PM »
DPA 406x and Countryaman B3 mics are between the 3.5 and 5mm size I think, but as to quality? In microphones, generally, with few exceptions... you get what you pay for. I'd not expect much from this mic but the cost certainly makes them/it worth some experimentation.
Good Luck

I opened this post in the hope that someone who tested the microphone I indicated could compare it with top class models and give an opinion.

I have seen that Amazon has very positive reviews.

obsidian

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »
I want to buy this microphone that comes with three different head diameters (scroll the page to see the images with the specification): my target are the 3.5 and 5 mm diameter version.

What do you think about the 3.5 mm version mic ? It is possible that a mic so small can be of good quality for this price or it is better to choose the 5 mm version even thought is 3dB less sensitive?

DPA 406x and Countryaman B3 mics are between the 3.5 and 5mm size I think, but as to quality? In microphones, generally, with few exceptions... you get what you pay for. I'd not expect much from this mic but the cost certainly makes them/it worth some experimentation.
Good Luck

I don't think anyone is under the impression that these are re-branded DPA or Countryman's or anything. I'm ordering a set for experimentation to see if this SIZE will work for me before flopping out a couple of hundred dollars. I don't mind losing $20 to find out - which is a boatload less than either of the two before mentioned brands cost. I hate when people use the "you get what you pay for" comment as while it is sometimes true, however not always do you need to purchase a Rolls Royce when you only plan on driving to the convenience store.

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 03:53:52 PM »
I'm not sure if you are in the States or not, if so, you should order it from here ...
https://www.amazon.com/Freeboss-Hs-13s2-l4a-Microphone-Sennheiser-Transmitter/dp/B00XHTSD8M?th=1
You'll get it a LOT faster and no issues if you need to return it. I just ordered one myself.

On Aliexpress the mic it's half the price, and the site offers "Buyer Protection", that means that no payment is released to the seller until you receive the product and confirm that it's working like described on the product page.

The shipping time on Aliexpress is usually much longer than Amazon is you choose free shipping.

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »
So, which one would you recommend to buy, the 5mm (-45dB± 3dB) or the 3.5mm (-42dB± 3dB)?

I would take it for the 5mm one even though it is slightly less sensitive...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 05:02:35 PM »
Personally, I would be a bit wary of such a sparsely spec'ed mic.  I guess they are so cheap that it can't hurt to try, though.

With respect to the correlation between price and quality, it might not be one, but it is certainly pretty high.  Maybe 0.8 or something.  There are a few examples of gear that considerably over- or underperform price, but, generally, there is a pretty strong relationship.  Of course, there are other factors to consider, such as budget, ease of use, and (importantly) the taper's expectations/demands for a certain quality.  A lot of people are happy with internal mics or iPhone recordings, so, for them, the investment in Schoeps seems pretty ridiculous...

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »
Personally, I would be a bit wary of such a sparsely spec'ed mic.

It's the same thing I thought myself and that's why I'm going to take the 5mm version, even if the 3.5mm mic is more sensitive and costs slightly more...

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 10:04:49 PM »
If you are going to record live music--amplified music--lower sensitivity might be an advantage.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com