Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are windscreens a necessity for indoor shows?  (Read 7620 times)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Are windscreens a necessity for indoor shows?
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:01:27 PM »
Subject says it all.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:44:49 AM by ycoop »
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Are windscreens a necessity for indoor shows
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:18:10 PM »
like everything it depends

no hvac or other smoke considerations ? probably not
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:24:01 PM »
I alway bring, but rarely use unless there are fans/hvac nearby as stated above. Of course there is less protection for the capsules if the stand goes down or any fluids are thrown etc.
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 10:40:23 PM »
I run screens indoors at every show that isn't 007 especially @ venues I am unfamiliar with.

I once taped an indoor show during the summer. I was all set up band takes the stage, they lowered the house lights and then turned on these gigantic ceiling fans on full blast. One of these happened to be directly above my rig. I got some minor wind noise. Ever since then I run the screens "just in case"...

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:53:18 PM »
I run small windscreens inside "just in case."

Other than possible wind noise from A/C, fans, etc, I also like that it (somewhat) protects the caps if the stand were to get knocked over.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 11:33:21 PM »
Indoors I'll run the small screens if I expect some HVAC "wind."  For places I know that won't be an issue, I'll let the mics go naked.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 12:38:51 AM »
someone mentioned smoke--wind and pop screens are made of open-pore foam (as you would certainly hope!), and provide only incidental protection from smoke, dust and other airborne particulate matter. Condenser microphone capsules operate on the exact same principle as electrostatic air cleaners, except that they also have audio outputs.

Actually, come to think of it, that may be a point in favor of RF condenser microphones.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
Re: Are windscreens a necessity for indoor shows?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 12:54:04 AM »
Follow up question: any recs for cheap windscreens that’s will fit SDCs with a capsule diameter of 7/8”?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 01:26:31 AM »
Most microphones are made in countries that use the metric system, so the question is then, who makes 22 mm-diameter microphones?

Neumann widened their KM series from 21 to 22 mm a number of years ago, so their WNS 100 and WNS 110 would be candidates, though they aren't cheap. OTOH if you buy cheap imitations, you don't know what they're doing to the high frequency response of your microphones. It seems silly to spend hundreds of dollars for microphones, then spoil their performance unnecessarily to save $10 on the cost of a windscreen.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 02:43:39 AM »
WATCH OUT FOR CEILING FANS!

Follow up question: any recs for cheap windscreens that’s will fit SDCs with a capsule diameter of 7/8”?
I've been using these DPA UA0896 on my Neumann KM100 series, and just replaced my old set after 18-odd years. The new ones are way puffier than my old crushed-down ones!

DPA Microphones UA0896 Windscreen for 0.75" (19mm) Microphones
Currently $40 for a pair of them at a large NYC online shop.

Interestingly, I now notice this comment:
"This windscreen works excellently whether used indoors or out, but is best suited for short-range vocal performances"

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 03:16:44 AM »
Most microphones are made in countries that use the metric system, so the question is then, who makes 22 mm-diameter microphones?

Neumann widened their KM series from 21 to 22 mm a number of years ago, so their WNS 100 and WNS 110 would be candidates, though they aren't cheap. OTOH if you buy cheap imitations, you don't know what they're doing to the high frequency response of your microphones. It seems silly to spend hundreds of dollars for microphones, then spoil their performance unnecessarily to save $10 on the cost of a windscreen.

$50 on windscreens for mics I spent $200 on seems equally silly to me. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 09:42:16 AM »

They are two seperate devices, with separate cost/performance curves.  Most important is that a windscreen fits correctly and performs appropriately.  Cost of the appropriate screen should be weighed against how well it achieves those goals.

Why should the cost of the microphone have anything at all to do with the cost of the windscreen? As analogy- does one decide which microphone to use based upon concert ticket cost?

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you spend less, but the inferior product renders your recording unlistenable due to wind rumble, your $200 microphone is worthless.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
these are great for my neumanns for most indoor shows.  I would never run them outside!  one venue here has a big ass fan and the DPA's are needed indoors.  Outside I used to use BAS now I use Movo's.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650865-REG/Rycote_104414_18_32_Small_Diaphragm_Mic.html
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welcome to taping :)

windscreens, stand, clamps, cables etc etc will all start to appraoch your mics costs even if you go super budget everytime. The accessories add up fast.

AKG w32 will probably fit your mics. Or you could just go big ass shures if you think you will do a bunch of outdoor taping. That way you only buy 1 set for the time being
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com