Gear / Technical Help > Cables

Custom cables redux. Silver clad or no?

(1/2) > >>

ycoop:
About to pull the trigger on a GAK cables 15’ XLR snake, but can’t decide for the life of me between silver-clad or mini-quad copper. Ted has told me the silver is slightly less flexible though the silver is a better conductor. What are the ramifications of the silver cladding in terms of the signal chain?

capnhook:
Going on 7 years, and never had a Ted silver-clad techflexed cable fail, if'n you're worried about reliability.

morst:
I've never noticed if a signal passed through a cable made of silver, if you're worried about the sound quality of copper.

You know it's mostly the skin effect, right?

ycoop:

--- Quote from: morst on September 30, 2018, 02:13:44 PM ---I've never noticed if a signal passed through a cable made of silver, if you're worried about the sound quality of copper.

You know it's mostly the skin effect, right?

--- End quote ---

I’m not familiar with the skin effect (though I just did a brief google search and see how silver cladding makes a difference.) I figure if he offers the silver cladding than there is some reason for it. I don’t want to hamstring my future recordings for a bit more flexibility if it noticeably effects the sound.

morst:
Just remember that when you record amplified music, almost every sound made is using copper.
 :hmmm:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version