Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

3.5 to 2.5 adaptor into amp-

(1/3) > >>

MakersMarc:
I bought a 1/8> 2.5 adaptor to send a balanced output to my amp, is there anything I ought for be concerned about? Don’t want to do anything to blow the amp.

Thanks!

Chilly Brioschi:
Phone plugs are not balanced, sharing a common ground with two signal "hots".
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Neutriks are balanced.
Two trs connectors will give balanced.
One 4-pole will not, and a four pole to three pole connection will unbalance it, and depending on the pre / amp could cause damage.
Only the manufacturer knows for sure, so read the manual on this one!

MakersMarc:

--- Quote from: 108Ω on December 26, 2018, 06:35:25 PM ---Phone plugs are not balanced, sharing a common ground with two signal "hots".
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Neutriks are balanced.
Two trs connectors will give balanced.
One 4-pole will not, and a four pole to three pole connection will unbalance it, and depending on the pre / amp could cause damage.
Only the manufacturer knows for sure, so read the manual on this one!

--- End quote ---

Good advice thanks!

morst:

--- Quote from: MakersMarc on December 26, 2018, 05:13:30 PM ---I bought a 1/8> 2.5 adaptor to send a balanced output to my amp, is there anything I ought for be concerned about? Don’t want to do anything to blow the amp.

Thanks!

--- End quote ---
Sending from what?
Sending to what?

Your amp has a 2.5mm input?
1/8" "mini" is 3.5 mm. The 2.5mm is something that was used for flip-phone headsets, but not much else that I can think of. OH, PAUSE control on ancient portable cassette recorders!

Chilly Brioschi:

--- Quote from: morst on December 26, 2018, 11:12:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: MakersMarc on December 26, 2018, 05:13:30 PM ---I bought a 1/8> 2.5 adaptor to send a balanced output to my amp, is there anything I ought for be concerned about? Don’t want to do anything to blow the amp.

Thanks!

--- End quote ---
Sending from what?
Sending to what?

Your amp has a 2.5mm input?
1/8" "mini" is 3.5 mm. The 2.5mm is something that was used for flip-phone headsets, but not much else that I can think of. OH, PAUSE control on ancient portable cassette recorders!

--- End quote ---

-= Flashback ! =-

The left two on that mono recorder are mic switch on-off + mono audio 1/8th inch
The mic switch starts "dictation" and allows pause by foot pedal or thumbswirch whilst speaker clears throat, coughs, or says ," ummm" repeatedly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version