Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Pmd661mklll dig input issue

(1/4) > >>

jcable77:
Im not sure if Im just exhausted or what? I just got a pmd661mk3 and im in the process of testing it. I connected with the digi cable of a v3 and cant get levels( presets to dig 24/48 stereo, same as v3) unless I turn up the rec level on the mk3. Unplugged it, and plugged the same cable into my mk2 and with rec levels all the way off have signal like I would normally. Does the mk3 have level control over digital signal? Am I missing something?

dallman:
Maybe a silly question, but do you have D.In set as the input in the menu settings? I have never seen the record level control work on a digi in as the deck is only a bit bucket at that point so it sounds like a menu issue. As you know Marantz pre-set menu setup is really detailed but can be confusing when setting up.

jcable77:
Yeah, its D.in. Ive never seen a deck have adjustable record level while dig in. All my presets are the same as the mk2. Maybe a firmware issue? Its weird, it runs fine with record levels @12:00 or +0.

DSatz:
I also bought one of these recorders recently, so just now I unboxed it and replicated your setup. To my astonishment, the record level controls are in effect even when the input is digital. And I don't see a way to defeat or bypass them. (Approximate unity gain is near the top of their range, but it's only approximate.)

If I'd known this I wouldn't have bought the recorder, though I may use it for its analog inputs at some point. Meanwhile, unless/until there's a workaround, I wouldn't use it as a "bit bucket".

I mean, I can see the designers' point of view. But even if they wanted to make this behavior the default for the benefit of less technically informed users, the controls really should be "bypassable" via a menu item.

--best regards

jcable77:

--- Quote from: DSatz on December 28, 2018, 03:47:39 PM ---I also bought one of these recorders recently, so just now I unboxed it and replicated your setup. To my astonishment, the record level controls are in effect even when the input is digital. And I don't see a way to defeat or bypass them. (Approximate unity gain is near the top of their range, but it's only approximate.)

If I'd known this I wouldn't have bought the recorder, though I may use it for its analog inputs at some point. Meanwhile, unless/until there's a workaround, I wouldn't use it as a "bit bucket".

I mean, I can see the designers' point of view. But even if they wanted to make this behavior the default for the benefit of less technically informed users, the controls really should be "bypassable" via a menu item.

--best regards

--- End quote ---
Thank you for looking into it. Glad Im not just crazy. Who wants to trade a brand new mk3 for any condition mk2? Hopefully B+H will take it back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version