Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Replaced left channel of L/R recording w/ Right ch. - restore dynamic range?

(1/3) > >>

nassau73:
Unfortunately, a recent recording appears to have had a bad mic connection on one of the l/r stereo channels. The problem is so bad on the right channel that I had to replace the entire right channel with the left channel.

However, the sound is very flat with essentially a mono left channel.

Is there any technique that can increase the more robust concert feel / dynamic range to make this listenable?

I have both Adobe audition 3.0 and Izotope RX7 standard

Thanks for any input

bombdiggity:

--- Quote from: nassau73 on January 11, 2019, 08:19:43 PM ---Unfortunately, a recent recording appears to have had a bad mic connection on one of the l/r stereo channels. The problem is so bad on the right channel that I had to replace the entire right channel with the left channel.

However, the sound is very flat with essentially a mono left channel.

Is there any technique that can increase the more robust concert feel / dynamic range to make this listenable?

I have both Adobe audition 3.0 and Izotope RX7 standard

Thanks for any input

--- End quote ---

I've seen examples of people delaying one of the channels but really don't advise that.  I usually undo that if I feel like I may listen enough for it to be worth the time doing. 

With old soundboards that have a flat house mix (also usually mono) I sometimes warm them up by very lightly applying some reverb (in AA3 : Effects > Reverb > Reverb).  There are several dimensions that can be adjusted there (as well as the final dry/wet ratio).  I tend to like things dry so am not necessarily disappointed with a mono recording to start with but they can often be gently warmed up using this (IMO).  It is a matter of adding a little dimension without introducing echo or too much tail (unless that's what you feel is missing and like that boomy back of the hall feel).  There are also some presets in it but I tweak what is now the default in mine a bit for each one.  I forget what preset I started with if I used one.  Most of them are really extreme though.  I find it is best to be fairly gentle with the effects and lean a little wetter in mixing the dry/wet balance if you want more of that feel.  YMMV. 

EmRR:
I'd try adding early reflections to simulate some spatial room characteristics.  Probably better than reverb with decay time. 

tim in jersey:
Checking in. Have a few recordings that are otherwise pretty tits, but a drop-out, or loud-mouth drunk or loud-clapper ruins it. Never been able to master getting even getting it close to right...

I don't think dynamics is the proper way to describe it because my levels were so close, but that collapse of the STEREO image is what bugs me so much. Sounds flat, as you described.

Not sure how to fix, as best as possible, in post. 'Course this is exaggerated in 2 track recordings. I can mask this on my AUD+SBD recordings.

But when it's strictly an AUD it bugs the shit out of me, if even for a few ms... Just glad it's only ever happened a handful of times...

morst:

--- Quote from: EmRR on January 12, 2019, 12:57:53 AM ---I'd try adding early reflections to simulate some spatial room characteristics.  Probably better than reverb with decay time.

--- End quote ---
That's a very interesting suggestion. I would consider the idea of adding just a bit of stereo effect so that the final result is not pure mono, as Bombdiggity and EmRR suggest. In my mind, "early reflection" is a property of some reverb units I used during my time as a full-time rock and roll sound guy, which was 1990-1992, so consider that the digital gear was comparatively primitive.
With today's digital processing, and ESPECIALLY with the post-processing plug in effects we have available, you should be able to find some cool ideas to add just a gentle touch to open up that image a bit.
Acoustically, early reflections are extremely important for how our brains localize sounds. The "first overhead reflection" is considered the most important reflection, perhaps because it relates directly to the height of the ceiling overhead. (indoors!)
Physics geek link: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Early_Reflections.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version