Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Testing/matching DPA4060's

(1/5) > >>

tungstengruvsten:
(I used to use Gefell UM70's or Josephon C42MP's when taping...a Rode NT4 in the early days...but I've never used these small DPA's on stands or for stealth...I'm just going through all the threads here to gather more 'real world' info on the 4060's....)

I've got a handful of DPA 4060's...some used but a good quantity of unused/unterminated ones.  I've tested a bunch - no issues yet and they are fine against a known good 4060...
So I soldered a pair up to Sennheiser 1/8" and bought a pair of Rode VXLR+ adaptors - to my ears they are matched very well - I've recorded sources individually through both to compare and used them in a temporary stereo setup (stereobar and tape) but I want to actually match a pair for myself to keep....and if I do that I probably should match the rest up into pairs.  I might even keep a pair to place into a dummy head for binaural studio stuff...

I have access to a nice pro studio that's quiet and well treated...I have mastering grade Tannoy 8" and 10" dual concentric speakers to use as a source - I could easily build a jig to place the microphone at a specific difference so they all receive the same test conditions.  I know I won't be getting a true 'frequency response' of the mic itself (I've been in a few anechoic chambers) but a frequency sweep should allow me to see which ones respond the same.   

I get all the nuts and bolts of this...it's just the software....It seems Fuzzmeasure is the one I want...but i'm just not a Mac guy. 

Ultimately what I would be looking to do is overlay frequency response graphs to compare mics...I see Room EQ Wizard/Spectrum Lab and ARTA for the PC...anything i'm missing? 

Any other thoughts on frequency matching DPA's?

tungstengruvsten:
Sorry - and a followup DPA4060 question....it says on the spec sheet they can handle 134dB SPL levels....why do most folks use 4061's then?  I've seen a few mentions that 4060's aren't the right choice for loud rock stuff...

Gutbucket:
^ 4060 ultimately clip at 134dB, yet distortion rises rapidly above a level below that.  The typical taper scenario where this becomes a problem is reflected in distorted bass when recording high-output PA subwoofers at high SPLs.  The mics aren't clipping, but the high SPLs at low frequencies combined with the extended low frequency response of these omnis down to very low frequencies can produce audibly objectionable distortion through the entire frequency range.

This doesn't happen often, and when it does it can be hard to know if the distortion is generated in the microphone FET stage, or by the high output level of the sensitive 4060 overdriving a following amplification stage such as a preamp or the mic-input stage of a recorder.

4061 avoids the problem with a combination of less sensitivity + higher distortion and clipping thresholds.  The new Core version of the 4060 may also avoid the problem by providing lower distortion overall + an increased distortion onset threshold, even though max SPL remains the same as the standard 4060.

I'm not much help with suggestions for measurement software to help with matching, but it sounds like your protocol for doing so is likely to be good.  A match of relative frequency response and output level should be sufficient for that.

I use both 4060 (stealth) and 4061 (open).  I'm currently in need of attempting a re-cabling of 4 of my 4060s which have failing jackets that are rapidly falling apart, or at least attempting a re-jacketing + retermination of their existing cables.  I've not attempted this before so not sure how it will go.  Instead, if you find you have 4 closely matched 4060, I'm interested in buying them from you to replace these.  FYI, I'll re-terminate the four to a single 6-pin mini-XLR which is the input format of the 4-channel preamp I use with them.

aaronji:
I recall reading that the 406x frequency response is so consistently uniform, even across manufacturing batches, that good matching can be achieved by just matching on sensitivity. I can't remember where I saw it, though. Personally, I would ask Len at Core Sound for some tips, as he matches his 4060 pairs...

Chilly Brioschi:
Off topic a bit, but great 4060 teardown video:
https://youtu.be/SEtfvq1RhDw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version