Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Roland R-07 dual recording post production question ?

(1/2) > >>

StPatric:
OK so here's the deal,

last night I did a recording on my Roland R-07 in dual recording mode.
I thought I read you could either do it in the unit itself, or with some app from Roland.
You can merge the two recordings into one recording.
Well more like it takes from the second recording that
is 20db lower when need it need too  ?

checht:
Nope.

You just get 2 recordings, one 20db down from the other.

Do anything you like in post, but I'd pick the higher level one unless it's over recorded.

StPatric:
I recorded it with the two recording option so I could push the levels over all in the main recording since it was an acoustic performance over all. I was planning on insert edit the second recording mainly for all the extra chatter that happens between tunes. And there was a huge difference between crowd noise and the performance itself. And I have found that at times that extra volume is over saturated and leaves background noise when you try and get rid of it. I wanted to see if I could get a cleaner sound in the end doing it this way.

checht:
Perhaps you can, but all that editing is a lot of time.

Why not just use envelope or limiter and knock down the between song stuff, then normalize the whole thing up? Maybe a little parallel compression?

I guess it's just a subjective choice...

StPatric:
Not sure what envelope or parallel compression is. But I do know that using a limiter or normalize function will introduce noise in it self and should be avoided as much as possible, same goes for compression, not sure about parallel compression ? I also like to keep some dinamic's between the different types tunes and normalize will defeat that. I was trying something different here to see if the final product comes out cleaner in the end that is all.

I do use Izotope ozone and RX Advance to take care of a lot of typical noise ( whistles, cheers, loud talking, clapping, chair noises, doors slamming, etc.,coughing and last but not lease cell phones clicking off taking photos, which cracks me up because cell phone cameras don't have a shutter. It's added noise so you know you took a photo ! ) you get at a live performance. Just want to find a better way to start attacking the over saturated crowd noise between songs. Thanks for your input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version