Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is 19" enough for split omnis for onstage?  (Read 3369 times)

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
Is 19" enough for split omnis for onstage?
« on: June 16, 2005, 10:33:07 AM »
I was going to use them at the lizard lounge onstage, but wasnt sure if that was enough or too much distance.

whacha tink?
the show is over go home please.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Is 19" enough for split omnis for onstage?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 11:18:33 AM »
I was going to use them at the lizard lounge onstage, but wasnt sure if that was enough or too much distance.

whacha tink?

I'm not really giving a suggestion but rather noting an experience of mine.  The other night I saw Old School Freight Train w/ grisman and the soundguy had two shotties pointed at the band onstage directly behind the small onstage PAs, which were facing the first few rows(there were bigger PAs hanging above for the rest of the theatre).  The mics were far stage left and right probably about 20~ ft. apart.  He also was running a matrix with the SBD and some MGs about 10 rows back dead center.  That reminds me, I need to contact him about that.  ;)

I tried onstaging at a local bar with my mics about 18" apart, omnis facing opposite directions (stage left and right).  Lets just say I need to work on it a little bit more.   :-\
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 11:20:25 AM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 09:56:42 AM »

whacha tink?

what do I think?  I wonder how Scott's split subcards came out.

For omnis, I would think that you'd want more than 19".  maybe you should try to make a jeklin disc and run that for the next show :)

For the July 7th show, I think I'm going to borrow some m27 caps and run split omnis.  ;D I was thinking 4 or 5 feet.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 02:05:43 PM »

whacha tink?

what do I think?  I wonder how Scott's split subcards came out.

For omnis, I would think that you'd want more than 19".  maybe you should try to make a jeklin disc and run that for the next show :)

For the July 7th show, I think I'm going to borrow some m27 caps and run split omnis.  ;D I was thinking 4 or 5 feet.

I don't think I would run split omnis at the lizard. The room is too noisy, and because of the strange pa placement the image would be very unnatural sounding.

I could be wrong though.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 03:22:03 PM »
you'll get a lot of channel bleed from that separation. a baffle would be ideal or get 2 onstage stands and split em apart 4' or so.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 09:57:34 PM »
I don't think I would run split omnis at the lizard. The room is too noisy, and because of the strange pa placement the image would be very unnatural sounding.

I could be wrong though.

JAson

yeah, not ideal, but it would be fun to try.  and if it doesn't come out, Rob will be running with mk4's ORTF, Scott will be running the mk21's ORTF, Don will be running Blumlien (at least for set 1  ;) ), plus whoever else shows up :)  So if the tape doesn't come out well, I'll just grab one of theirs.

edit to add - it also usually quieter in the summer months, as many students are out of town.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 09:06:17 AM »

I could be wrong though.

JAson

yeah, not ideal, but it would be fun to try.  and if it doesn't come out, Rob will be running with mk4's ORTF, Scott will be running the mk21's ORTF, Don will be running Blumlien (at least for set 1  ;) ), plus whoever else shows up :)  So if the tape doesn't come out well, I'll just grab one of theirs.

edit to add - it also usually quieter in the summer months, as many students are out of town.

hey there gimme a break  ;) delf goes on so late and plays too long of a first set. I gots the wife at home im only a first set kinda guy when it comes to delf. specialy since they play on school nights  ::) I have to work in the morning, ya know.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 10:33:08 AM »
hey, you know, however you want to justify it.  :P  I get up for work at 6AM everyday too, you're not the only one.

so, are you going to try the split omnis next time? I should get in touch with Scott and see how his split subcards from last week came out.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 01:56:44 PM »
i thought those were omni's?

I just got sone neeto cables from leegeddy im gonna try a 4 mic mix next time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com