Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oktava cap matching  (Read 5386 times)

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
Oktava cap matching
« on: July 16, 2003, 04:40:17 PM »
hey all.

I just was doing some very unproffesional/unscientific testing with my oktavas and I noticed that my cards (which are not matched) are pretty damn far off, so far off infact that when I add the    
-10 pad to the hotter of the two mics the levels get close to being matched.

My questions are...  Can caps get "more unmatched" (I havent noticed this much diffrence before)

What does Taylor (sound room) do to match them? Can I do it?

what are those two little screws on the bottom of the bodies?
the show is over go home please.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:Oktava cap matching
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 07:58:12 PM »
i think they are factory matched at the plant in russia...taylor, i believe, simply re-tests the frequency response...but i could be wrong.  i highly doubt you'd be able to match them yourself.  did you buy them from the sound room, and did you ask for the matched pair?
finally, you could call or email taylor and ask him yourself, i've talked to him and dealt with him and i think he's a real nice guy and raelly caters to his customers.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 10:32:13 AM »
Sounds like you got a pair from the guitar center. They dont do anything to them to match them. They test all the caps coming out the factory and get the best ones. They test those and match them to the closet match. The only way to fix it is to sell yours and get a matched pair

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 11:47:37 AM »
yes bodies and cards from guitarcenter matched hypers from taylor.

now only the caps are what you match right?
yeah Ill call up taylor about this.
also here is a crazy idea...
is it schopes that have thos caps that you can detach and use some sort of cable to connect the cap to the body here is a pic
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=1949

can this be done with oktavas? is there a hack?

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 02:59:24 PM »
those are called active cables, i have never seen or heard about doing that with oktavas, i would doubt it is possible.  if you bought matched hypers from taylor, i would just go back to him and get the other caps you want matched also.  the preamp bodies do not have to be matched as far as i know.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 03:19:54 PM »
those are called active cables, i have never seen or heard about doing that with oktavas, i would doubt it is possible.  

That would be great IF actives existed, but as far as I know they do not & nothing is on the horizon, which is a bummer cause I would be right in line for the cabs. Oktavas get such a bad rap from some folk, shrug ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 11:13:23 PM »
I think taylor at one point want to make active cables and never did. He now has his own line of mics

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 09:20:52 AM »
Yeah the bad rap on Oktavas, I dont get it either. I think that is just our capitalist nature to poo poo something that is cheaper if and when we buy something that is more expensive. I don’t know why people so highly regard shoeps as great mics. To me they sound like the mics are in a box while recording.

On that note... some veteran comments would be appreciated… Why is this? I have many recordings that were done with shoeps mics and the majority of them sound this way (in a box). I think most of the ones that have this sound are outdoor recordings. Is this the nature of that manufacturer or the mic pattern… most of which would be cardioids.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 02:34:14 PM »
i actually have heard nothing but good things about the oktavas, i didn't know they ever had a bad rap.  i'm sure people snub them because they're so cheap but i haven't heard many complaints about sound quality.  i like mine and got into them before too many people had heard of them...not to say i am a pioneer because i've only had them about a year and a half, but my first exposure to them was when i patched out of them at one of the oysterhead shows in denver and i was very impressed.  not many people i talked to had heard of them at that time.  then i found out the price and decided they would work for my budget when i set my rig up.  i am still very pleased.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com