Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: " Upgrade ???"  (Read 6430 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
" Upgrade ???"
« on: November 10, 2005, 01:06:56 PM »
I would love to upgrade my mics (C4's) but I can not afford too right now but I was thinkin' of gettin' a "T" Mod and "+" mod done to my UA5 ($375). I am not sure if these mods well be worth it or if I should save for new mics. I only tape festivals I go to on vacation and mabey one show a month in bar/resturaunt. I am hopin' to bring the highs in clearer and have less distortion in my lows.I usually run cards in DIN and Omni's w/ a J-disc. Below is a link to my recordings on archive.org. I really like 7-2-05hbrsb@ Big Meadows, 4-15-05moe.@Majestic Theater, and 7-1-05kw@Grand Stage.
Peace
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 01:10:25 PM by rowjimmytour »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
Re: " Upgrade ???"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 01:12:53 PM »
Save for mics rather than spend it on those mods... better mics will make a bigger difference IMO.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 01:19:03 PM »
You could easily sell the C4s for $150 or so....add that to the $375 you were gonna spend on the UA5 mods, and that puts you in the 391/393 price range, maybe even 460s.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 01:28:37 PM »
mics
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 02:54:37 PM »
You could easily sell the C4s for $150 or so....add that to the $375 you were gonna spend on the UA5 mods, and that puts you in the 391/393 price range, maybe even 460s.

I'll take those C4s for $150 and I double-dog-dare you to upgrade your mics. :P

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 03:06:46 PM »
microphone selection (aside from placement in relation to a soundsource) is the largest factor in what a recording will sound like.. 
upgrade mics first....    allways...
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 03:15:36 PM »
You can get more than $150 for the C4's if it is the set with case, shockmounts, omni's & cards.  I think I sold mine for $250.

I think the T+ mod from Oade is $250-275?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 06:13:32 PM »
I was just emailed by Oades that the mod "T' is $250 and the "+" mod is $125 if I do it at the same time and $150 if I do it later.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 06:42:59 PM »
I was just emailed by Oades that the mod "T' is $250 and the "+" mod is $125 if I do it at the same time and $150 if I do it later.
Peace

Do you have an Oade digi-mod UA-5?  That could explain the cost for the upgrade.  I had a Pmod UA-5 and it was going to cost $225.

To upgrade from the Pmod to the T+mod is $225 plus shipping each way.  They told me last week it there was about a 4 week bench time right now for what it's worth.

So if you've already got a P/W mod and you want to upgrade to a T+mod, it is $225.  And, if you have a digi-mod and want to upgrade to a T+mod, it is $375?  I hope that is the case, and Doug didn't up the cost of his mods across the board.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 07:40:24 PM »
Peace

Do you have an Oade digi-mod UA-5?  That could explain the cost for the upgrade.  I had a Pmod UA-5 and it was going to cost $225.

To upgrade from the Pmod to the T+mod is $225 plus shipping each way.  They told me last week it there was about a 4 week bench time right now for what it's worth.

So if you've already got a P/W mod and you want to upgrade to a T+mod, it is $225.  And, if you have a digi-mod and want to upgrade to a T+mod, it is $375?  I hope that is the case, and Doug didn't up the cost of his mods across the board.
Some time ago, Doug told me that it would be $65 to switch from a P to a T.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 09:24:32 PM »
Peace

Some time ago, Doug told me that it would be $65 to switch from a P to a T.

Sounds like prices are changing/have changed then.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 10:16:28 PM »
i dunno, i like the sound of the c4's>dmodua5 as is, BUT the T+ and W+ mods are PHAT, they really open up those mics in the lower price range IMO

I say mod the ua5 and upgrade mics when ya can/maybe get some new caps for the c-4's
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 10:21:06 PM »
i dunno, i like the sound of the c4's>dmodua5 as is, BUT the T+ and W+ mods are PHAT, they really open up those mics in the lower price range IMO

I say mod the ua5 and upgrade mics when ya can/maybe get some new caps for the c-4's

Dude you're wrong. Go back to smoking pot on your couch hippie....

;)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 10:23:47 PM »

Dude you're wrong. Go back to smoking pot on your couch hippie....

;)

:smoking:

and goddamnit, Im in a computer chair ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 10:33:18 PM »
hmm...i gotta agree with bean on this one....to me the difference a tmod+ will make will outway the difference between the c4's and the 390's.....the mic upgrade can come later when you can make a bigger jump....like the 480's....little differences just arent enough...go for broke....hell..ask bagtagsell if you can borrow a new piece ofhis gear each week...haha....
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 11:49:34 PM »
+T's all around!! And yes I have a digi mod UA5 that I bought from Oades.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 12:18:10 AM »
I agree with Bean and Razorback upgrade the box first the mods will have a significant effect on the sound of your rig and in the end may be the desired result you want.

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 01:47:26 AM »
I agree with Bean and Razorback upgrade the box first the mods will have a significant effect on the sound of your rig and in the end may be the desired result you want.

plus... a T+mod UA-5 will do well with any other mic you want to upgrade to later on.

PS... Razorback +t and a nice job taping TLG the other night. Listening to it right now  :clapping:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 02:32:06 AM by john2525az »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com