Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: One mic, two mics  (Read 5529 times)

Offline 3gendmb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
One mic, two mics
« on: January 10, 2006, 07:18:11 PM »
well, im interested in taping a local bands concert. I dont want to get real serious into taping, but i do want my recording to come out clean. I was wondering difference does it make if you record the show with one mic or with a pair.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: One mic, two mics
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:16:14 PM »
uhh,  yeah.

one *stereo* mic maybe.  but you will not be happy with a mono recoding.

the search function is your friend.  start here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=46.0
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline 3gendmb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 09:10:05 PM »
so for two mics what do i aim them at... also, i could use some recomendations on some mics that will produce some good quality recordings without having to spend a fortune.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 09:19:05 PM »
so for two mics what do i aim them at... also, i could use some recomendations on some mics that will produce some good quality recordings without having to spend a fortune.

There is an entire sub-forum in the Archive for the Microphones and Setup.  Also, some stickied threads in this forum will help you out as will the "Getting Started" forum.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 09:51:35 PM »
Do some reading around here, and if you have the scratch, consider picking up a copy of the New Stereo Soundbook.  It's a bit pricy, but a very good education on stereo sound concepts and techniques.

You've come to the right place though.  I've seen a LOT of people running a pair of expensive mics (sometimes incredibly so) side by side with no included angle at all.  Unless they want a mono recording and run a second mic as a backup to the first, then I just don't know what they're doing.  Or, should I say, they don't know what they're doing.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 01:59:32 AM »
<snip>

... I've seen a LOT of people running a pair of expensive mics (sometimes incredibly so) side by side with no included angle at all.  Unless they want a mono recording and run a second mic as a backup to the first, then I just don't know what they're doing.  Or, should I say, they don't know what they're doing.

- Jason

That would be your stereo A-B pattern.  Depending on the capsule and the separation and placement, it can yeild a stereo image.  All depends on the variables.  I've never run that way and haven't dug into it, but it's not unheard of.

Well, when I wrote "side by side" I really mean exactly that... like within a few inches of one another at most.  The first (and most ridiculous) time I saw was at Irving Plaza a few years back someone was running a set of Schoeps tubes with card caps this way.  Seems like a big waste when he'd get nearly identical results for half the money... or far better by listening to some friendly advice about reading up on stereo methods.

A-B stereo works because the mics are separated by a significant distance.  You need separation between the mics or an included angle (or a combination of them) to achieve a stereo image with a pair of omnis or directional mics (subcard, card, hyper/super, even figure-8).  With neither, you've just got redundancy... not stereo.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 02:02:14 AM »
or, if you get a decent mic, just 'trick' it into being stereo, by running tyhe mono end into a mon>stereo adaptrer from your local radio shack

2 mics are the real deal tho, but thats how i started some 9-10 years ago
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline poppag76

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 09:45:19 AM »
I suggest the single point stereo mic.  They are cheap and pretty effective.  Look here:

http://www.american-digital.com/prodsite/default.asp?source=TTAPES
Berliner CM33->USBPre2->HD-P2(busman modded)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 10:42:38 AM »
or, if you get a decent mic, just 'trick' it into being stereo, by running tyhe mono end into a mon>stereo adaptrer from your local radio shack

Dual mono != stereo.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 12:08:45 PM »
Do some reading around here, and if you have the scratch, consider picking up a copy of the New Stereo Soundbook.  It's a bit pricy, but a very good education on stereo sound concepts and techniques.
- Jason

Great book. I keep it in the "office" to look at when I go to do my "business". Would defintiely recommend it.

-B

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 08:06:16 AM »
I agree with at least using two mics (suggest spaced omni HRTF baffled mic configuration).

Here's a live sound recording tips page many find quite useful.  With links to samples, gear, and discussion FAQ of various live sound mic'g methods: www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 04:00:34 PM »
I suggest the single point stereo mic.  They are cheap and pretty effective.  Look here:

http://www.american-digital.com/prodsite/default.asp?source=TTAPES

I second that.  I started with an Audio Technica 822 that I bought at Guitar Center.  Decent quality stereo mic and totally brainless to use.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »
I agree Jason, you need some angle or space to yeild a decent stereo image.  Not to say you Jason, but people who get out the protractor and ruler to make a perfect ORTF DIN etc really bother me.   Here they are in a shitty club 15' off center, a giant pole directly to the left..(not to mention the horrible sound guy!) you get my point.  Sometimes you need to improvise.  I don't always run "accepted" patterns.  In an ideal location, true patterns are best and yield the most accurate imagine, I understand, but a lot of times when I don't have a choice where I am I run hypers and just aim them at the outside of the stacks.  my .02

Sorry for the rant.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

RebelRebel

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 08:01:33 PM »
tell it like it is. I dont really see the point of strict patterns either, in a lot of PA taping situations.
I also found that listening to pa tapes ive made , the fact of them being 24 bit only enhanced the reasons that I dont like some PA taping to begin with. 16 bit, PAS ;) I can see that in an onstage or acoustic type situation  adhering to placement conventions would make a pretty big  difference
but from what ive heard and the little that I have learned, the music is so processed, filtered, baffled, drugged, smoked, blasted through 100 dollar PA speakers , rode hard and put away wet.......how would strict techniques make much of a difference???acoustic is where its at..or stage lip. 
I agree Jason, you need some angle or space to yeild a decent stereo image.  Not to say you Jason, but people who get out the protractor and ruler to make a perfect ORTF DIN etc really bother me.   Here they are in a shitty club 15' off center, a giant pole directly to the left..(not to mention the horrible sound guy!) you get my point.  Sometimes you need to improvise.  I don't always run "accepted" patterns.  In an ideal location, true patterns are best and yield the most accurate imagine, I understand, but a lot of times when I don't have a choice where I am I run hypers and just aim them at the outside of the stacks.  my .02

Sorry for the rant.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 10:02:45 PM »
3gendmb - If you are interested in picking up an AT822 (the mic mentioned in this thread) please let me know. I'll be selling one used really soon, and I'd give you a good price. It's less than a month old and it's only been used a couple of times. Send me a PM if you are interested.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com