Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so I dropped my camera...  (Read 2557 times)

Offline adubphoto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • What happened?!
    • www.boymangodshit.com
so I dropped my camera...
« on: January 12, 2006, 09:40:29 AM »
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1151

I was getting out of a packed car on the roadtrip from steamboat to denver and it was in my lap. I've noticed that It's much harder to get a focused shot so I think i knocked the lens out of allignment.

do any of you guys know if a local shop can fix something like that?
Ret. Audio: Rode NT5's(rodents) > Omnistudio USB > Gateway5300> Cubase
Visual: Canon 30D // Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 // Canon 50mm f1.8 // Canon 70-200mm f2.8 // Canon 580EX

Aquarium Rescue Unit Flickr photo set | FLips Flickr photo set | GRAB Flickr photo set

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: so I dropped my camera...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 09:49:15 AM »
In Montpelier (sp?) Vermont two october's ago for a couple of shows I care not to remember, I dropped my digi camera in a puddle for about two seconds..   Didnt work for the rest of the day..   took the batt out and the cf card and set it next to a fan overnight..   In the morning it was working just fine..    still working today!

I know this will be of little help to you.. jus wanted to share..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Guide Pup Raiser

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 01:31:10 PM »
yes - there is hope for your camera/lens.. It's a bit hard to tell which has been damaged from the drop.. Either could be the culprit at this point, given the description you gave of it's ailment.. A GOOD camera shop will know how to trouble-shoot.. It may involve your camera being sent away...  But I wouldn't just wrap it up and ship it to Olympus.. Let some smart camera-store person take a quick look beforehand - and see if there is anything that can be done - before you bother..

Connections in the camera body may have been dented or loosened with the drop - and can potentially be replaced.. It may not be as bad as you think.. And I wouldn't let a bend or crack in the metal of the  interior mechanics go too long.. It's surprising how suseptible to rust a freshly damaged piece of metal can be - when exposed to even the normal humidity levels of life.. So don't sit on it too long - or you may allow an additional issue to crop up.. (May be ok - just being cautious..)

If it's the lens, you may have to suck it up and get a new camera.. It looks like your camera's lens is fixed to the camera.. I have experience with camera drops for SLRs.. But I think my experience will apply to your fixed lens.. Lens repair for normal consumer-level lenses is often more expensive than it is worth.. In my experience, once the lens has a SIGNIFICANT injury, it's just best to move on... Hopefully that won't be your case, but again - a GOOD camera store will be able to decifer..

Best of luck with your repair.. It may not be so bad -- sure hope so, anyway..

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1151

I was getting out of a packed car on the roadtrip from steamboat to denver and it was in my lap. I've noticed that It's much harder to get a focused shot so I think i knocked the lens out of allignment.

do any of you guys know if a local shop can fix something like that?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 01:41:26 PM by Guide Pup Raiser »

Offline adubphoto

• Taperssection Regular
  • What happened?!
    • www.boymangodshit.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »
thanks Guide!
Ret. Audio: Rode NT5's(rodents) > Omnistudio USB > Gateway5300> Cubase
Visual: Canon 30D // Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 // Canon 50mm f1.8 // Canon 70-200mm f2.8 // Canon 580EX

Aquarium Rescue Unit Flickr photo set | FLips Flickr photo set | GRAB Flickr photo set

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com