Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Photojournalist audio newbie needs microphone type / brand / model advice  (Read 1468 times)

Offline gmgrant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I am a photojournalist that is interested in recording audio to go along with photos on web slideshows.
I have purchased an M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 for the recording. That was the easy part.

Now I am very confused on what microphone/s to purchase.

Most of the sound I will need to record will be ambient sound of activities and events. But I do plan to also conduct an occasional interview with subjects as well.
Some of the events will tend to be large gatherings with many people talking and such.

What I think I would like are two microphones - An omni for ambient sounds, and a uni/hypercardoid for interviews to block out background noise. I would also like to be able use the uni / hypercardoid mic for ambient sound but be selective. For example, in a large crowd be able to point the uni / hypercardoid mic in the direction of something that I would like to record, blocking out as much of the other ambient sound as possible.

The only sugggestion I have gotten so far for the omni is ElectroVoice 635AB and RE50.
For the uni / hypercardoid mic a Beyer M59 has been suggested. (Hard to find in the US?)
I would like to try to stay away from shotgun mics just because I would like to carry the whole package in a small bag or waistpack while on assignment. Unless there is an extremley short shotgun mic out there.

I would like to stay away from condenser mics because of the battery issues with the 24/96.

And of course, being a photojournalist, and not making a lot of money, I would like to purchase the best mics for the least amount of money. $100 - $300 range for each?

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am fairly clueless about all this and have just started looking into it. I apologize for the broad questions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

gg

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
You may soon find most types of microphones have serious issues for allowing easy and consistent ambient sounds recording. Especially true if your intention is more than vague feelings of a virtual experience from easy-to-record ambient source material.  I would think, there may also be concern for a good audio listening experience that does not cheapen the images presented, instead help transport the viewer to experience both familiar, and unique perspectives. 

Usually a most difficult requirement for recording professionals let alone amateurs like yourself. Here's a insightful recording tips page with many ambient recording links:  www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm

Personal experience with ambient recording (also my profession 18+yrs) suggests give a listen to ambient clips www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm

Might motivate you to dig a bit deeper into natural sounding ambient using HRTF mic methods.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com