Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendations for RFI-shielded mics?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Recommendations for RFI-shielded mics?
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:41:22 PM »
Ok, so I just had another recording (Gomez) filled with cell phone interference.

For those that haven't read of my probs with this thus far, I've isolated the issue to my mics (at853s, at943s, audix m1290s)...it seems most of the bloody phones in Australia operate on a band that interferes with mics.

So...I figure its time to start saving to get some shielded mics.

The problem is, I don't know exactly what it is about the mic construction that leaves them open to RFI, and there doesn't seem to be much documentation on the net about this (at least that I can find) .  As such, I don't know what my options are, so I thought I would ask y'all for recommendations/thoughts/musings.

Keeping in mind the over-riding rfi-shielding requirement, the (admittedly probably difficult) equation looks a bit like this:

I've a budget of ~US$1100
I need a stealth and open solution (doesn't need to be one pair of mics...but it would be nice...).
My gear's in my sig, but for open I'll be running ?? > UA-5 (bm2p+) > iriver h140
To be honest, I've been reasonably happy with the AT and Audix sound, but that may be because I know no better.  I need to listen to some more sources, but I do love a few with km184's & AKG 460 JW Mods CK61

The only mics I'm aware of that expressly advertise being rfi-shielded are the AT U853's.  I haven't heard any sources with these, so I'm hesitant to spend dough on 'em.

I'm sure there's plenty I've forgotten...but hopefully this'll be enough to get the ball rolling.  As always, thank you all very  for any advice/recommendations you can offer.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recommendations for RFI-shielded mics?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 09:40:50 AM »
The only mics I'm aware of that expressly advertise being rfi-shielded are the AT U853's.  I haven't heard any sources with these, so I'm hesitant to spend dough on 'em.

I recently picked up a pair of AT U873Rs, the full-bodied cousin of the U853 (same caps, hypers standard).  Unfortunately I haven't tested them in the field yet, but I have tried them on my home stereo.  Listenining to white noise, I heard a definite difference between the U873Rs and my AT853s with their hyper caps. Recording music, I hear very little difference, but liked the U873R better.  Slightly better bass and overall fullness, but a subtle difference. 

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recommendations for RFI-shielded mics?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 10:21:03 AM »
Made my first recording with the U873Rs last night.  Same capsules as the U853 series, hypers in this case.

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/JGBband/Deal.flac

(for a quicker download, if MP3s will do, go here: http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/JGBband/ )

Setup was 40-50 feet from stage, on a 7.5 foot stand that was itself on a hill a few feet above stage level.  Sort of a Nutter/Point-At-Stacks configuration, but not too far off DIN, about 20 cm between the capsules at an angle of 70 degrees. 

U873R > Presonus Firebox > iBook(24/44.1 in Sound Studio) > 22 dB gain added to 24 bit file in Sound Studio > dithered to 16 bit in Audacity > 16 bit file tracked in Sound Forge > FLAC'd in xAct
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 10:23:42 AM by Will_S »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com